At what point can I let my daughter sleep through the night w/out waking her for a feeding?

My daughter is only 2 weeks right now so we have to wake up every 3 hours to feed her but if we let her, she would sleep through the night. She slept through the night at 5 days. I don't want to under feed her, so I continue to set my alarm every few hours. When can I just let her sleep through the night and let HER wake ME?

ashleynicholeee

Asked by ashleynicholeee at 3:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why are you waking her? if she's hungry she will let you know get some sleep mama!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• dont wake her to feed her. if sshe wants to sleep let her sleep.she will wake up when she's hungry she wont starve.
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The PP said exactly what I was going to say...
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• When their newborns they say that u should wake them if they don;t b/c babies can get dehydrated fast and I always had to think of that when my baby wouldn;t wake up for a feeding. When she got like over so many months old it was sometimes ok to let her sleep but I didn;t want her to be dehydrated. Your baby still is sooooo yound and needs waking up
    Anonymous

• Unless of course you've been instructed by your doctor to do so...
    tat2edmommyof2

• I was always told that it is okay at that young age to let them go a 5 hour stretch once every 24 hours. (Although that NEVER happened with my son - he was up wanting to nurse at least every 2 hours for the first 3 months.) So that should buy you a little more sleep. I would be doing the same thing you are right now. I guess I would bring it up at the next ped visit.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• This is what the hospitals told me with both my kids and my friend's babies too. Maybe ur doctor is different
    Anonymous

• never wake up a sleeping baby!!! lol why would somebody do that?!

if she is hungry, she will wake up by herself, every baby does that since thousand of years, your little munchkin isnt different.

the baby wakes up the parents and NOT the other way around. sometimes she will eat more, and sometimes less. until she is not losing weight (or not too much) then everything is fine.

my daughter was sleeping through the night since she was exactly 6 weeks old. (11pm - 6am)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My DIL followed a theory about raising a happy baby, and she got the baby up every few hours, fed and changed her, kept her swaddled, kept a low noise level all day and night, and so forth. Usually people just let the baby sleep. I'd wonder about training the baby to wake up more often than she would usually.

Answer by Bmat at 3:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• to the Questposter: PLEASE do not wake up your sleeping baby unless the doctor told you that you have to do it because of health issues. EVERY newborn/baby/toddler will wake YOU up when they are hungry. Everybody who says different, believe me or not, has never seen a pediatrician/midwife/doctor in their lifes before. Much less do i think they ever read a book about pregnancy, giving birth and how to treat a newborn. ;)

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2008