Why would the school call CPS?

I have two sons. We requested the school to let our children to go on a trip due to a family emergency. The trip to Europe would take us about 2 weeks to return. The school principal said that it will be no problem as long as a had a writing request explaining the situation. Nothing complicated we completed all the documentation and we went for our trip. As soon as we returned we had a visit from CPS around 8pm at night. My dh explained and show all the documents and give specific detail of the conversations with the school principal. The CPS agent said that the school file a child abuse and neglect because our children were missing school. I want to do something against the school for this. We are so angry. We are concern now that our names are going to be place in the CPS files as "criminals". What can we do? The school is almost over .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• For one, I'd be putting my children in a different school next year, if possible. Secondly, I'd go the school board and complain as much as I could!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Well I assume they didn't find anything and the school had some kind of mix up with who was informed and who was not, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I am sure it was stressful, but if you "do something"against the school, you could be setting yourself up for future problems,, I would make an appointment with the principal, and discuss the matter with him.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Wow! I have know clue what I would do in that situation!!!! I would find out what CPS put in the file and definitely have a serious sit down with that school, hell, if I could afford an attorney to sit in on it, I would do that too! Good luck mama!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would definitely file a complaint somehow, just not sure who you should talk to.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't think there is anything you can do legally, but I would file a formal complaint with the school district and demand a letter goes to CPS noting their mistake. Clearly all of your paperwork never made it to your file and they forgot about your situation. Unacceptable!!!! Gosh it isn't like they have many students leaving to Europe during the year, wouldn't your names ring a bell?! This is unbelievable!

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• CPS will probably drop the case as long as you can convince them that it was a family trip. They really don't want to waste their time on families who don't really need CPS services. I would not worry about it too much, i know it's frustrating though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Depending on what state and the regulations for attendance, that seems to be the appropriate response by the school. Now, i don't agree with it at all, and i would be pissed too. but i would find out what the attendance regulations are first. If there are none, then i would have a meeting with the cps worker, the school principal AND superintendent, AND your lawyer. While you don't want to make things worse, you don't want any records if you are not in the wrong either (legally, i don't think you are in the wrong). And take all the written communications you have.

now the reason i talk abour the regualations is becasue in my state, if you miss more thant 5 days in attendance, the school is required to report you to the county attorney and then you have to justify to them why, regardless if it's a good reason or not.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would file a complaint. That is not right at all!! school board for the county is who i would file the complaint with. Good Luck!! Do you have papers etc... did you get their homework etc...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with ochsamom. Schools are mandated reporters, so someone may have made the report without knowing the absences were excused. Social Services will conduct an investigation, and you will be cleared, because you have all your ducks in a row. Your name will not be tarnished! Just go along with it, and make a complaint to the school board about how this should not have happened!!
    Evie3

Answer by Evie3 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Message me and we'll talk. I know exactly what u r talking about. I have been there. Message me and u and I can talk one on one.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2011