Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Do marriage certificates expire?

In 2003 me and my husband went to the court house to get our marriage license, we got it but we didn't have a civil wedding or anything. We basically just got the blessing from our Pastor. Does that qualify? I'm wondering since I am adding myself to my husbands health insurance and they need our marriage certificate which was damage due to a flood and I'm worried that they will say there isn't anything on file. Please help!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • If the license was never signed and mailed in there will be no record...

    Answer by But_Mommie at 10:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Call your court house and you can get a copy of it for a minimal fee. If the pastor and a witness signed (may not be required in all states) then you should be legally married and shouldn't have any problems :)

    Good luck!

    Answer by AAAMama at 10:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Let me explain more...
    When you go to the paper prior to marriage there is a copy for the wedding attendant to sign along with a witness. This is then mailed in to complete the paper work. This is what says the marriage actually took place. Other wise all you did was pick up the papers. AS far as they know you could have changed your mind and never got married at all.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 10:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • No you have to divorce.

    Answer by loleah at 10:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • If you at any point in time had a marriage certificate that was signed and given the state seal then all you have to do is call and they should have it on file and be able to send a copy to you.

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Marriage certificates expire- you have a certain time limit to actually bed wed, once you apply for a certificate. If you are married by a magistrate (JOP), minister, etc. the certificate must be signed and filed with the county clerk of court. Then they issue a marriage license, which is on file in the county in which you were wed.
    If you did not have a magistrate or minister sign the certificate and file it, you were not legally wed. There will be no record of it on file, since you are not married.
    If you DID have it signed and filed, you will be able to obtain a copy from the clero of court by sending a photocopy of your ID and a written request, plus fees to obtain a copy of your marriage LICENSE.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I am not sure about this one but the ladies above seem to have a good idea about all of the legalities aboutthis issue. I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck in this matter. I hope it all works out smoothly for you!

    Answer by kdwiegandt at 12:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Honey if it was filed, then you have to go to your local social services office and get a duplicate and if the pastor didn't file it...THEN you're in trouble cause then that means the legal marriage never happened.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

  • OMG, not to make light of your question, but when my hubby and I moved across the country, we had to get new drivers' license, I had to get a new nursing license and I told hubby we had to get a new marriage license and we weren't actually married in this state. I was completely teasing him, but he believed me. Oh boy....then we divorced. I don't know, it's still a funny story in my head....good luck to you!!!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 6:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.