Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

changing a childs name?

I just found out today that the mother of my husbands daughter has changed her (the girls)last name from his to her married name. I know that when you want to change a childs name you must notify the other parent and get permission. She never contacted us, and his mailing address has not changed in 30+ years. My question is what can we do about this? Will a judge even do anything about this because the girls name has been changed already?

Answer Question

Asked by gypsygirl76 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • im not sure

    Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • In Wa state the mother cannot change the childs name without "permission" from the dad. You need to contact the courts and or and atty

    Answer by mamakirs at 4:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • it also depends on how old she is if she is over 13 they may have just asked her for her choice. usually you have to have him contest before the change. even so i understand the pride of her having his name but why put her through it? if she's a teen she's just getting married and it's changing again anyway? it also costs about $1,000 to change a childs name

    Answer by watersgirls at 4:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • she lives in Arizona, and she is only 11

    Answer by gypsygirl76 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

  • You cannot change a name on a birth certificate without goint throught he courts and they would have to contact him in order to get this done legally...I would get a lawyer.

    Answer by salexander at 10:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.