Continuing from earlier

So I asked a question earlier about cramps and contractions and which ones to time. Yes they can be seperate for me. I'll feel the cramps for like 5 minutes straight whereas the contractions only last like 30 seconds to a minute. Then the cramps will calm down and then start up again, lasting another 5 minutes or so. I don't necassarily have contractions with cramps. Or visa versa. I was just wondering if that's me just moving along, like not being in total labor yet but maybe dilating. Sorry I may sound like an idiot but I am a first time momma. Never felt these before or really talked to anyone about this stuff before. (38w 4d)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It is normal to have a period of days or weeks where your body is sort of ramping up to active labor. What you are describing sounds like it could be exactly that. It sounds like your body is starting to do it's thing, but it is still very unorganized. That's normal. When things get organized (uniform contractions that are regular and that increase in intensity and frequency over a period of time), then you'll know that you are in labor. Since you are aware of all these different things going on in your body right now, I doubt you'll be one of those women who goes into active labor without knowing it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Oh, and make sure you're well hydrated. That may help relieve some of the cramping. That can sometimes be brought on by mild dehydration.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Anything I can do to help my body get to the "organized" point? I just feel like me and my body are kinda goin crazy over here.
    Anonymous

• Lol... I hear ya. I remember those days oh so well, and they royally sucked. You can walk a lot, have sex a lot, do hip-opening exercises or bounce on a labor ball with your knees spread wide. There are all sorts of things you can try, really. But honestly, all of that stuff only works if your body is ready to go anyway. All you can really do is wait, and take good care of yourself.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Will it take a long time for my body to get organized?
    Anonymous