Walking

Is walking 2 miles in 20 minutes considered ok exercise? Should it be faster? Should i walk longer? I am just starting out and don't have much stamina? Plus i am afraid if i push too hard at first i will get burnt out and get discouraged. Do you think i will see results starting with about 20-30 minutes of exercise? Trying do do it 5-6 times per week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I walk every morning and take Sundays off about 2 miles and I always feel great. I walk at a steady fast walk pace! I've already noticed results and have been walking a couple of months. Saturdays I walk longer and farther because of garage sales lol.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• That's a pretty good walking pace, especially for starting out.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You must be booking it! That's a 10-minute mile!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• That is really good. I walk outside and also follow LeslieSansone(an exercise instucter who makes walking videos)10 minutes is her fastest mile. congrats!!!
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I honestly think walking is great, but to ad weight training and stretching is important as well!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you're walking 2 miles in 20 minutes, then you're running. That's a 10 min mile and a fairly average pace for runners (on the treadmill that would be 6.0). That's about my pace and I run 20-30 miles weekly. Yes, you'll see results....just be sure you're steadily increasing as it gets easier...always challenge yourself and never be afraid to push past what you think you can do. Add in strength training, it will increase your metabolism, help you lose inches and make your clothes fit better.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Do you mean each mile is in 20 minutes? Yes that's a great pace. Especially if you're just starting out. As you get faster you'll probably get to where you can do a mile in 15 minutes. After that- most people find that they need to jog if they want to go faster.

Walking is a great way to start! Way to go =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No, it said i did 2 miles in 20 minutes. Atleast that is what my pedometer said. I am not talking about waling at a leasure pace. I was actually power waling and jogging. i would alternate. I would power walk, for a couple of minutes. then jog, and kept alternating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I was told to walk 20-30 minutes
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would go by your target heart rate:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011