Is it normal to eat that much food?

I'm concerned about my ds eating habits and although I do know what healthy food is and that is what I offer him, I'm not sure how much he should be eating. I offer healthy food, but he usually decides how much to eat. He's taller than me, about 5 feet 4 inches. ( 13 years old)

This am he ate oatmeal and wanted nothing else. He ate a large bowl with sugar and wanted more. He often does this so I measured to see how much a bowl holds. It holds about 3 cups of oatmeal or food. ( He likes to do rice or bean dishes the same way. ) I thought of offering him fruit, but nope.

At other meals he eats huge amounts of food. He out eats dh & I, will ask to eat the girls left overs or 2nds & 3rds. Is this just normal for a 13 yr old boy? ( He has Asperger's but I don't know if that has anything to do with his eating habits.)

When I eat oatmeal I can only eat 1/2 cup and I'm full. My girls, even the 15 yr old is like that. The younger girls don't finish it, but they will want a snack 2 hrs later.

I'm concerned about his weigh so I'm not sure what to do. Is it just normal for a boy to eat like that? Should I make him cut back or do I just let him eat the amounts he wants and just continue offering healthy food?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• His daily requirements are about 2,100 calories a day. If he is involved in sports, or other extremely physical activities, you can bump that up as many as 500 more calories.

Part of living a healthy lifestyle is also learning portion control, nut simply eating healthy food.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If he is not over weight (if you are unsure check with his doctor)then I would not be concerned. Boys have a high metabolism anyway and if he is active then that will increase how many calories he can burn in a day as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For 'filler' I offer my kids plenty of fresh fruits and raw veggies as snacks. Or, air popped corn with a little salt. It may be as much a habit as it is simply eating for hunger.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Teenage boys often seem to have 'hollow legs' they want to fill. If he is overweight take a close look at the 'snack' foods available. Make only healthy choices. When an appetite is fueled by growing hormones it is hard to preach portion control to them. LImit white rice, potatoes and other non complex starches at meal time. The boost the glycemic index and actually cause you to crave more of the same.Have you considered replacing sugar with Stevia? Stevia is a great plant extract sweetner. It is especially good for glycemic eaters. Keep offering heathy foods and limit poor choices. Remember though he is growing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Having Aspergers could effect 'what he eats' in a way. If he got up this morning decided he was having oatmeal then by golly he was having oatmeal and nothing else. It was decided. Maybe try easing into a 'rule' (Most children with Aspergers-like my son like rules) You get to pick your breakfast, you can have one helping of what you want and then it has to be fruit. Or start a breakfast schedule that has him mentally prepared for a variety of foods in the morning like sating or posting on a dry erase board 'tomorrow when you get up we are having eggs and toast and strawberries'.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• So is he overweight? I think you could make his oatmeal with fruit added in, and cut back on the amount of sugar he is eating,, but Mommie has some excellent advice,, if he is not overweight, he is probably just a normal teenage appetite!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2011