How do you cook your asparagus?

I've done it a couple ways, but I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate flavor into it.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Pund some chicken breast very thinly and cut it into strip. Wrap a strip around an asparagus spear and sautee in olive oil until the chicken is cooked (you can blanch the asparagus first if you want a deeper green color).
    Make a sauce with soy sauce and brown sugar, so it's sweet and salty to your taste. You can add spice if you want, like a little bit of sriracha sauce. Thicken it with corn starch dissolved in a little water and add just a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil. Put in a pan, add your chicken wrapped asparagus to cover them with the sauce. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds. These taste just like the ones at Hunan, LOL. And you can also do them with thinly sliced meat, like pounded skirt steak.
    Some other ideas: asparagus quiche, or crepes or use a peeler to make thin strips and add them to pasta wil olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and parmesan.

Hope I could give you some ideas!
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Put it in foil with butter wrap it up and throw it on the grill, yum
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I usually roast them. Place the min a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them fro about 15 minutes.
    There are some things you can add to roasted asparagus to increase flavor: Sprinkle toasted almonds or lemon zest. If yo ucan do hollandaise sauce, it goes great with asparagus. And once I breaded and deep fried some goat cheese and put in on top, it was a hit. Just make sure you put your cheese i nthe freezer before frying so it doesn't melt. You can add a simple vinagreitte or some chopped boiled eggs.
    I also love scrambles eggs with asparagus. You just blanch them: put the min boiling salted water for a couple of minutes and shock them in ice water. The color they get is great and they stay crunchy. Chop them up and mix them with your scrambled eggs.

Continued with my favorite!!!
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• put in oven with olive oil and a bit of rasperry vinegar with fresh garlic.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I drizzle a little olive oil on it and then add a little salt, pepper and whatever fresh herb I have on hand. I grill or roast it in the oven. I don't like to do too much to vegetables since I want to still taste them.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 10:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I saute mine with butter and garlic salt...delicious! Also, try cooking them with scrambled eggs, sooooo yummy!
    mommyIam08

Answer by mommyIam08 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My husbands favorite way is when I first boil the trimmed shoots about 5-6 mins until they just begin to bend when lifted, shock in cold water to stop cooking. Then I wrap 4 to 5 shoots in a thin slice of proscuitto, secure with a ttothpick drizzle melted butter over and sprinkle with parmesean cheese and bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I always steam them with water and lemon juice
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• DH likes it wrapped in bacon.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Straight on the grill, then a little butter and salt when it comes off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2011