Implanon or Mirena?

I am starting a new birth control this after noon and I have been going between Implanon and Mirena for a while now and its down to the last few hours and I still can't decide! I am afraid of the Mirena because I don't want to get pregnant on it or have it get lodged into my uterus and become infertile. On the Implanon I just haven't heard very many good reviews. Any suggestions?

Aleighasmom09

Asked by Aleighasmom09 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't even know they did the implanon anymore. Between the two of them I'd go wit the mirena, but I have tho copper hormone free IUD, Paragaurd, and I love it. Probably kind of late to be considering something new this late, but just thought I'd p that out there :) Good luck in your decision!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I had the implanon...it was fine except that i spotted 3 wks. out of the month...i had it in for 8 months before getting it removed for that reason.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The Mirena is a good birth control and their is not cutting to put it in. You will have the strings from the Mirena that will need to be trimmed if necessary and can be taken out a lot easier than the Implanon.

My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 11:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I love my Mirena. We conceived our son the first month my old one came out. They're very effective, generally safe (nothing is without risks, but the risks of uterine puncture and infertility are quite low), and very easily reversible. I used to be a sexual health counselor, and part of my job was educating people about birth control options. Mirena is actually more effective than a tubal ligation, and it's the most common birth control among health care providers (for themselves). I would highly recommend it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• thanks everyone this really helped a lot!!
    Aleighasmom09

Comment by Aleighasmom09 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I got my period every 2 weeks while I was on mirena for 8 months straight, then I decided to have it taken out
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• well i went with the Mirena. Hope it works thanks for the advice!
    Aleighasmom09

Comment by Aleighasmom09 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I hear people either really love it or really hate it, but more so love lol. Let your body have time to adjust and you should be find. I love having an IUD. It's so easy lol :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011