Seriously, WHY do you have eachother's email passwords?

S/O of my previous question. I didn't realize so many people had access to their spouse's email and vice versa. Isn't there anything to privacy? Aren't there things you talk about with friends or family that are private? Wouldn't trusting eachother mean that you don't need to be able to check eachother's email?

My fiance knows my business, but he doesn't need to read my emails from my friend with fertility issues. That is HER private business as well.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Just because we have it doesn't mean we abuse it... Sometimes he is at work and needs me to check something for him. Everything for the kids insurance comes to my email. Everything for ours goes to his email. It just isn't that big of a deal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:09 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My hub has my passwords, I think lol. He knows most of them anyways, but that's because he's a computer GOD and needs my passwords to fix stuff lol. But the last thing I worry about is him snooping about. I know his passwords and have never snooped either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My husband knows my password, if he's listened in passing conversation, and I think I know his - but I have never tried it to see if it's what I think it is. I don't care if my husband read my email (he would get tired after sifting through the couple of hundred that I get a day) and I don't think he would care if I read his, but out of respect for each other we don't go nosing around.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:10 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I used to have my husband's passwords when he was in training and couldn't access his stuff and needed me to or wanted me to give his facebook friends an update because we don't have all the same friends!!! I don't have it anymore though....and he doesn't know mine.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I know his password because I set up his account for him.
    I use his facebook because I don't have one or want one.

Hate to tell you, but even private matters shared by my friends are told to my DH. It's called pillow talk, and I would never assume that a spouse would keep something for the other spouse. Heck, if I had a friend with issues, it would stress me out worrying about her. Anything I stress about, I tell my DH because we communicate alot. We don't have anything to hide from each other.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I feel the same way. My husband has some of my passwords to certain things that he uses as well, but not to my email accounts and such.
    He feels about the same way that you do too. He doesn't need to go reading my emails or read things that others have written to me.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with you completely. I have my own email account that hubs doesn't even know about. It's my private communications with friends or family. There are no trust issues but, again like the OP said, my friends' business is not for him to know. Hubs chooses to have all his friends and family on our 'joint' email account. He could set up a private one if he wanted one.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• We don't really go through and read each other's emails. But sometimes my hubby wants me to send and email for him while he's at work, and vice-versa.

....and uh, no between us as husband and wife, there is no privacy or secrets... I mean if abuse or something came about where privacy was needed, it's a simple thing to change a password or get a new email address.

If someone wants to talk to me about their own private issues, they just talk to me face to face.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My dh and I dont have each others. No need to. We trust each other. Now from time to time if he has to get on my comp to check his email it might open to my email its set that way, but he doesnt snoop and vice versa. The only person who ever needed to have my pw was my ex husband, and it turned out he was the cheater.

Answer by gemgem at 11:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i wonder too, i'd feel suffercated. I guess if the husband WANTED me to have it, its a different story but just to have it cause you wanted it, i'd wonder whats really mine at all? its like digging through my purse without my permission, i'm not hiding anything but where are the boundaries?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2011