How do I deal with a LT Boyfriend and my kids on Father's Day?

My ex-hubby and I have been apart for almost four years. I have been with my current boyfriend for almost 2 years. He is the only guy (after my husband) that my kids have ever seen me with. We have lived together now for 6 months. It is working out great, and the kids adore him. I think it may be moving toward engagement. What do I do if the kids want to give him a father's day card this year? They have mentioned it, but I told them we would talk about it later. Should I let them call him dad if they want, or discourage it? My kids still have their dad, I don't want to be disrespectful or confuse my kids-but I do love that they love him.

nacoledawn

Asked by nacoledawn at 11:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I think if they want to give him a card you should let them pick one out, or make one. I think if they want to call him Dad it could be with his name attached,, my 23 year old nephew has had his stepfather for 20 years he calls him DadJohnny, he started it when he was 3, and it stuck. I think you should allow them to decide or not if they want too!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• growing up my sister had two dads that she called dad, her father and my father that raised her, she is now 30 and has a great relationship with both of them. I think if they want to call him dad talk to him about it, and if/when they ask explain to them that they are special and will get to have 2 dads in their lives to help raise them. And if they want ot give him a card I would let them, it may mean alot to him
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with kimigogo.......
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• your kids giving him a father's day gift will be fine. people do it for their stepdads all the time. they want to acknowledge they love him. doesn't mean their dad won't get a gift from them too.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 11:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• How old are your kids? As far as them calling him dad that also depends on he comfort level of your SO...how does he feel about it? let them get him a card. I have been with my SO 6 months we have been living together almost 3...a bit sooner then we had planned,but my mom(I was staying wit her) was moving out of state and he didnt want me to go...I let them get him a happy fathers day card...it;s just a genearal 1...like 1 you give to whover...but it's cute.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Would your BF be happy if the kids called him dad? Without being engaged/married, some guys may freak out thinking you're putting the pressure on to do so.

Either way, it'd probably be better for the kids to make him a personalized card since the typical Hallmark ones are geared towards fathers and step-fathers.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2011