Advice?

We've found that when out daughter says she wants to spend time with something alive, whether it be my husband, me or the dogs, she is mean to them. For example she will squeeze really hard, or kick, or hit, ect..... I'm not sure why she does that and if you ask her she says I just want to spend time with who ever. Any advice how to make this stop?

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is she? If she's two, that's a completely different parenting issue than if she's 12. Two year olds have to be taught how to "touch nicely". If she's twelve, she likely needs counseling.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree, it depends on her age. If she's under 5, I'd suggest an evaluation by Early Intervention. This is a red flag that you need to follow up on to see where the behavior comes from.  Does DH or someone else squeeze her hard?  She could be modeling what happens to her.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• That is a major red flag!! No matter what age!! It could be many things.. The first thing that comes to my mind is, is she being abused by someone that is saying they want to spend time with her when really they are hurting her?? Does she see someone else doing it? LIke older siblings wrestling playfully?? I would have her evlauated. Look into Early Intervention. They have behavioral specialists if its a behavioral thing... I would also seek counseling... good luck! :/
    TylersMommy0808

Answer by TylersMommy0808 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011