what is recovery from a tubal ligation like

Had mine done yesterday and am curious what the recovery is really like?

kcquacker

Asked by kcquacker at 1:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Health

• I had it done, went home took a 4 hour nap, got up took some tylenol and went to work. For me there wasn't a recovery time. Yea the little incisions itched as the weeks went on and they healed, but I didnt have a single problem. Didn't they give you sheets with info on recovery when they did yours?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Vbruno Hello, I've had 2 C-sections and about to have another one. Only this time I'll be getting the tubal. Is there any difference? If not then cool.
    mommy_me32

Answer by mommy_me32 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• ummm...a day or so taking it easy. i had mine, came home, slept off the drugs and went back to doing housework. its not that bad. really. i wouldn't lie to you. no time at all you'll be up and at em.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 3:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• The only bad part of my recovery was that I was really sick from the anesthesia. I TRIED to tell the doctor that anesthesia makes me sick and he insisted I'd be fine and didn't give me anything during the surgery to prevent nausea. When I was still puking my guts up the next day I called him and he said they had to give me extra anesthesia in order to put me under. DUH! Obviously that's going to make me sick!

Sorry I went down a rabbit trail. Other than that, recovery wasn't bad at all, I took pain pills for a day or 2 afterwards but within a week I was back to exercising and my normal activities.Just take it easy for the first couple of days.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Mine was done by laproscopy which is two little holes, one in your naval that require 1 stitch each. I had it done on a Friday and by monday I was fine. The worst part was shoulder pain - w/ laproscopy they puff your abdomen full of gas so they work like in a balloon. over the next 48 hours the gas is trying dissipate and likes to settle in your joints. My doc had prepared me for that so I knew what it was when my shoulders started aching. My aunt had the same experience - just temporary shoulder pain. Weird, huh?
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I had a tubal ligation done 6 months after my daughter was born. I hope I am the minority but I had a much harder time recovering from that then from the delivery of my daughter. It's my understanding that they fill up your abdominal cavity with air to do the surgery. The air rises through your body to escape. I hurt so bad from the pressure caused by that. It was a very uncomfortable thing and it took me a good week to start to feel like normal and it was another week before I could resume normal activities. I hope you have a better time and that my experience was an exception.
    mamaphouka

Answer by mamaphouka at 8:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• If you're having it done during labor or section than I would guess you wouldn't feel it in light of everything else.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• You are sore for about 3 to 4 days. You get pain medicine. You have to take it easy and not do alot. but it is an easy and quick surgical thing.
    amanru8

Answer by amanru8 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I was tired and a little sore the first day, my dd was 4 weeks old, the 2nd day my dh went back to work, I was on my own, I had 3 older children...I was fine...no pain! It was a very easy surgery...I keep trying to convince my sister of this!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2008