Part time or full time preschool for a 3 yo?

My daughter will be turning 3 in March and we plan on starting her in preschool in May. We brought her in for an evaluation and the teacher said she is totally ready to start. The only question is whether to have her do part time or full time. The school offers 2,3 and 5 days a week, and its a full day 9 - 3. I would like her to go only 3 days a week but my husband thinks she should do 5 days a week.

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think I'd start with 3 days. 5 days seems like a lot for a 3 year old.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i would do 3 days don't over load it
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• She's only 3. Why put a full load on a 3 year old? I think she'd be fine with just 2 days honestly! They are capable of learning those things at home and really don't need preschool.

Everyone wants to make it a competition with their kids. Whoever has the smartest kid wins, lol. I'm not saying this is you, but it is a big thing with a lot of parents. Let her have fun just being a kid! They learn best through play!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i think it depend on your child my frist child i kept in preschool full time because it was like a drug to her she loved preschool but my second is half because he is really attached to me and if i overload him he will get grumpy
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I don't understand the rush to put children in school. I understand wanting a child to be in an educational atmosphere if you need child care (as opposed to just having them run wild all day at a babysitter's) but my children won't go to preschool. It's unnecessary and I think it's just making them grow up too fast.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 6:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I think 3 days is enough. My daughter did 3 days a week at 4 1/2 yeas old and it exhausted her and she only did mornings.
    Marci81

Answer by Marci81 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My dd is in 2 days a week for 3 hours each day. If she has never been in daycare or something like it, I would do the 2 days first. Then next year you can bump it to 3 or 5 if she is doing well. Especially since its an all day thing. They can get very overwhelmed if they've never been in a setting like that.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Depends on the needs of your family, and her individual needs. Start slow. If she loves it, and it has a positive impact, let her go more often.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• at 3 my dd did 2.5 hrs 2 days a week..and now shes 4 she does 2.5hrs 3 days a week...i know a 5yr old who is in kindergarten 5 days a week all morning..and hes exhausted!! i cant imagine a 3yr old doing that!! thats tooo much...and doing 9-3 5 days a week..youre never gonna see your poor child!! thats so sad! its almost more like its a daycare, but they call it preschool...i would never send my daughter that long..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 3 days would be easier to start with, because 5 seems like a lot. maybe after a while you could start letting them do 5 days?
    courtneysmith

Answer by courtneysmith at 6:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2008