Breast pump question?!

am i suppose to take my breast pump i got to the hospital with me or will the LC show me how to properly use one with the hospitals pumps...?

pipsqueak01

Asked by pipsqueak01 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take yours with you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You can take yours, but some places provide you with a brest pump to use, you just need your containers etc. good luck to you!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You really don't need the pump at the hospital, or to use any pump at the hospital... just put baby to breast. Your pump should have come with a manual, and those really are pretty good on how-to. What to expect: Half an ounce to two ounces total per session.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They usually give you a hospital grade pump there to use. I personally think bringing yours with you is a hassle because it's just another bag and things to keep track of! I would bring your nursing pillow though, nursing bras or tanks, and nursing pads :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You can bring it with you if you want, but you probably won't need to pump while you're in the hospital.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 2:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i'm not planning on pumping while i'm at the hospital. i just wasn't sure if i was suppose to bring it for them to show me how to properly use it when i need to or not.
    pipsqueak01

Comment by pipsqueak01 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'd take it if I were you. We ended up needing to be hospitalized for over a week after the birth, and Baby needed me to supplement his breastfeeding with what I pumped. Better be safe than sorry. You could always keep it in the trunk of your car then have your SO run get it if you need it.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you need to learn. My experience was the LC didn't know the first thing about pumping and discouraged me from using one until baby was over 6 months. Make sure to look up properly fitting the flanges. I am big chested and wish my LC would have told me about this. Beast pumps usually comes with the smallest size of flange, and if they are too small they can pinch and lead to mastitis.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2011