What do I do with a 5 year old who is grouchy all the time?

Nothing makes her happy! She is almost always grumpy to me and her 3 yr old sister. I'm a SAHM and she's not in preschool. Most of her friends are in kindergarten. I don't know what to do with her anymore!! It's getting depressing, honestly.

justmeamye

Asked by justmeamye at 4:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh how sad. Poor baby. It sounds as though she needs to be around more friends, either a preschool, or a Y program, or play dates. Possibly extra playing with her, and smiling and laughing while doing this, would help.

Answer by Bmat at 4:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• yeah it sounds like she grumpy about not being in school maybe a preschool will help
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• She most likely needs some big girl time. I, too, kept my oldest out of preschool. I'll be sending him next year for this same reason!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have been homescooling my kids for over 10 years, and I don't agree that not going to "school" makes a kid grumpy. You said she has friends, so she isn't lonely for playdates. My daughter is 4 1/2, and she gets grumpy, I mean VERY grumpy, when she misses her daily vitamins. I give her a brand from an ND dispensary, but any high quality brand will do. It's the lack of B vitamins and Iron in the diet that account for this grumpiness in young children I beIieve. If you're currently giving her a miltivite, I'd consider taking her to an ND (Naturopathic Doctor) and get a prescription for something more potent and possibly test for food allergies. Hope this helps!
    itshotinhere

Answer by itshotinhere at 12:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008