At how many weeks does a doctor start checking for dialation?

I have 2 babies this is my 3rd so you think I would know, but I can't rememer. I am curious to know if I dialate this time around since i didn't with the first 2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ideally, the answer would be "when a complication is suspected". The checks in late pregnancy serve little purpose, are invasive, make moms nervous and get hopes up or disappoint moms for no reason (thinking "Oh, I'm already 3 cm I'll have this baby tonight!" or "I'm not dilated? I guess I'm never going into labor"). They can also introduce bacteria and cause infections, and it gives your practitioner an opportunity to sweep your membranes (which can actually break your water) without telling you (happened to me).

My policy for MY body is no one puts their hands in my vagina unless I want them to, or there is some sort of medical reason for it. And just knowing if I'm dilated or not is not a medical reason. I walked around at 3 cm with my first for THREE WEEKS, had my membranes swept twice (without warning or consent) and STILL was induced.

Avoid it, is my advice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My doctor started checking me at 36 weeks
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 2:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• 38 weeks
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Between 35 and 37 weeks is when doctors typically check to see if your cervix is preparing for birth. They also do the strep b culture at the same time. But as mentioned above it really doesnt mean anything to know if you are dialated or not. With my first I was dialated at 1-2 cm for a month and I didnt go into labor until a week after my due date.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Usually no earlier than 36 weeks but how far dilated you are really has no bearing on when you will go into labor.

And FYI....it is HIGHLY unlikely that you would never dilated but likely that if your body was forced into labor it just was not ready and that is why you did not dilate.

A friend of mine was 4 cm dilated and 85% effaced for 7 weeks before she went into labor. Another friend was checked at her doctor at 9am, and was not dilated AT ALL. She was in full blown labor by 4 in the afternoon.
    Anonymous

• @anon...I know...with my first 2 I didn't dialate at all, but I am already having contractions with this one and I didn't with the girls so Iwas just curious. With my first I waqs induced on my due date I was checked at the hospital before hand and I wasn't. I was induced because I am small and they said the baby would be about 10 pounds if I went over and I wouldn't been able to deliver a 10 pound baby. I ended up with forceps and was afraid of it happening again so my dr took my 2nd at 5 days early to make her just a little smaller, but it didn't work that way she was bigger.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2011