Are vitamins really good for you?

I have heard that they are not. WHat do you think?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• I think its best to get all your vitamins from food, be it fruit, veggies, legumes etc but vitamins can help fill in those blanks
    TaraRichelle

Answer by TaraRichelle at 12:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Where did you hear this? There's a big difference between taking a multivitamin, and taking all kinds of supplements. Also, you don't want to take too many vitamins. Really, one multivitamin, ideally a prenatal if you're of child-bearing age, is sufficient. Any more than that is putting you at risk for toxic levels of any given vitamin, which can cause problems. You can also take a fish oil supplement, because the omega-3s are very good for you. Don't overdo it on any of these.
    I'm studying to be a certified nurse-midwife and a registered dietitian, so this is something I am very familiar with.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with musicpisces
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Also, minerals are more bioavailable (meaning more is absorbed) from food than from a pill. Your best bet is a diet high in fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins, including beans and legumes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I myself take vitamins and I can feel the difference. If I miss a day I go back to being sluggish. I have tried many types and the ones I take now are wonderful. I have yet to see any bad results in taking them.
    tomboymom2826

Answer by tomboymom2826 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Well I was just reading something in O mag about how when you take a vitamin, you don't get the other good things you get from the food that naturall provides it, and they have found that taking some vitamins too much can cause cancer.
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ohhh, they'll never convince me that vitamins and mineral supplements are BAD for me, LOL.
    I'm a big believer in vitamins. I have solved so many health issues with supplements. My doctor says "" I believe alot of our medical problems are a result of vitamin/mineral DEFICIENCY"" and I completely AGREE.
    I couldn't live without my supplements. When I miss them for a few days (on vacation or something),,I start noticing the difference and I don't like how I feel.
    No. I don't believe they are bad for us. Most foods we eat today are vitamin deficient, unfortunately. Like, our grandparents could eat 1 orange a day & get their full vitamin C requirement. Today, we would have to eat 6-8 oranges a day to meet our requirement.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Your body will only take in so much of anything. Then, it gets rid of the rest. If you don't think your are getting all the vitamins you need in your food though the day, a 1-a-day vitamin will help. But to take supplements to boost your diet, you can actually die from vitamin overdose. Just make sure your are making an informed decision about what to take and how much. Then, yes, they do help.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011