Pap & pregnancy adult content

Did any of you refuse the pap during the 1st trimester? Did anyone get the pap and have complications or miscarriage after it? My appt is today, I'm 10 wks and Im really considering requesting that the dr wait until the post partum appt. Any advice appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I always refuse the PAP during pregnancy. Doctors don't seem to understand how to be gentle and my cervix is EXTREMELY sensitive in the first trimester. It worries me when I'm cramping and bleeding after it (my midwife is great at it and never hurts me, but I've never had a doctor or nurse do it where it didn't cause cramping and bleeding) There doesn't seem to be an increased risk of miscarriage, but there IS a much higher false positive rate and I don't want to deal with cervical surgery during pregnancy for nothing. I'm super low risk, one partner who was also a virgin when we got together, no risk factors, no smoking, etc etc... so I refuse it.

Also, skip it until at least 8 weeks postpartum. The healing process also causes false positive results when there's nothing wrong.

Reassess if you know you have one of the HPV strains that causes cervical cancer, or if you have risk factors. Otherwise, tell 'em no :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The small amount of stimulation to the cervix won't cause a miscarriage, unless you have an EXTREMELY high risk pregnancy, in which case, your doc wouldn't be trying to do one. Can I ask why you are choosing to refuse it? Out of all of the "invasive" procedures we have during pregnancy, that would be the last one I'd refuse. I'd refuse cervix checks toward the end and sonograms before I'd refuse a Pap, personally. I'm not a fan of unnecessary medical procedures, but Pap smears have prevented a lot of deaths from cervical cancer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Bah, if you had your last PAP in August you're golden. Tell them to buzz off, they only recommend the test every 2 years for women without risk factors. There's zero need for it in your case.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I had mine at 8 weeks. Everything was fine.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I didn't have one. There really is no need for one especially if you've had one within the last year.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i had mine done, i haded been to the doctors in like two years..
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I had my last one in august so it hasnt even been a yr. I read that pregnancy can cause them to come back abnormal (falsely) causing unneccessary worry and tests. Also that some people have miscarried within 1 o 2 days of the pap smear. I just dont want soemthing unneccessary that could be any risk at all. I will gladly have one after I give birth but it seems early to be messing with the cervix. I am planning on asking to not have dialation checks at the end as well. I will discuss it with my midwife today just wanted to get some info first.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• your not going to miscarry from having a pap, but you can always refuse to have one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They always do it on your first visit if you haven't had one in at least a year and only swab lightly. They don't stick it all the way into your cervix. You need this test to see if you have any issues that may effect your pregnancy & your babies health. I have had it done each time & have never heard anyone having any complications with the pregnancy as a result. By waiting until after the pregnancy you are putting your baby in danger since many medical issues have no symptoms.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• what's the pap ?
    Anonymous