Do i have ppd or just normal stress?

my daughter is 6 weeks old. i love her so much but sometimes i just seriously want to run away! she screams and cries for the majority of the day unless she is being held (so therefore i constantly hold her) and sometimes even then shes upset. just 2 days ago she was awake for 13hrs straight. upset the whole time but not screaming and crying the entire time. anyways this has been going on for about a month now. and it just keeps getting worse. shes been to multiple drs and thankfully shes on a new formula and is doing soooo much better! i thought id be feeling so much better now that she is (she sleeps normal, and doesnt cry near as much as before) but im still pretty miserable. i cant sleep (insomnia?), i barely eat, and im always so irritable and snappy at everyone. a lot of the time i dont even want to spend time with my daughter. i feel so guilty. and i get so frustrated when i cant fix whats wrong with her i just seriously want to jump off a bridge or something. it was so bad one night it was 3 hrs of screaming and crying and i was running off 10mins of sleep, i put her in her crib and started banging my head into the wall (yeah ow...) i feel like a horrible mother. like i should be doing so much more for her. her dads not involved. so im living with my parents and theyve been helping me a lot. but i feel like too much. like i should be able to handle more on my own but i cant... i dont know whats wrong with me... any ideas? suggestions? i have got adequate sleep some days, and although it helps, the feelings are still there. so i know its not just a sleep issue. and she has had 2 good days this month. and even then my interest wouldnt last the whole day. like in the morning id be happy wanna spend time with her, hold her etc, and come around 6pm the feelings came back. maybe just not enough good days? sorry this was so long. please help?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like lack of sleep, adjusting to being a parent with a demanding infant and very well could be PPD. I had PPD, a colicky infant for 6 months and bonding issues and it was a reality shock in to parenting we didn't expect.. !! do you have a support system at home to help at all? I would talk to your Ped about possible PPD - Good luck!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Go to the doctor. IMHO, you have a very bad case of PPD. There is medication that will help.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Don't just jump on meds! This is normal, who wouldn't be feeling this way in this situation? I would be at my wits end too- do you get any breaks at all? Can your parents watch her while you join a gym or something, just go for a walk everyday or could you take her for a walk? All I know is that the worst thing you can do right now is just lock yourself away from the world. Even if you don't feel like going anywhere you have to make yourself go. It will get better. My dd had colic for the first 3 months and it was very hard but we got through it, and you will too! God bless!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yeah her grandma (my mom) watches her while i sleep (so i do get to sleep) but whenever im awake im taking care of her in some way. i dont really get breaks when im awake. even when i do eat i have to extremely fast. or when i shower ive got them down to like 4 minutes start to finish. i feel like im on overdrive all day but my brain will be kind of off. i would love to go out. but no money. and its so extremely hot here that walks would seriously kill me (over 100 degrees now) and i really dont want to leave my daughter with my parents to baby sit since they watch her while i sleep so its not fair to them to have to watch her while im awake too. i feel like theyre doing more than me sometimes! and im afraid to take her anywhere other than her ped since shes almost constantly upset. its so weird cuz at first i felt such an amazing strong bond with her. and now i feel so disconnected and it hurts so bad...
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think parenting isn't easy for ALL of us and this could very well be signs of PPD,. mine got mixed in with many other issues we were having at the time so the feelings were less noticable than some have.. I say it sure wouldn't hurt to talk to your Dr.!! hugs I Know its hard..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. I have been having those same feelings since my son was a month old. He is now 4 months and I just now got in to see someone and together we decided to try medication. I have been on it for a week and can already tell a huge difference in me. I am happier and feel more up to taking care of my son and I don't feel forced to anymore. Also my doctor told me to spend at least and hour a day outside because the vitamin D from the sun helps moods. Ask your parents if they can watch the baby for 30 minutes while you soak in the tub. There is nothing wrong with taking you time. Your mom once took care of you as a baby I am sure she would understand. But please do seek some help you don't necessarily have to take meds. Just talking to someone in person that has been in your situation can help ease your stress and tension. Good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I felt the same way. I still do sometimes if I don't get time to refresh myself. I would talk to your dr. don't be embarrassed you're not the first person to go through this. But honestly try some time to yourself see if that works for you. Babies cry. I was never at a relaxing point until I excepted that. Make sure she's fed, clean diaper, swaddle her if it's cool in the house, try to rock her or maybe a swing? Did you try a pacifier? My son wouldn't take one, still won't, so yeah I had to just let him cry when I tried everything! Sometimes babies just need to cry to calm themselves. I was ALWAYS on edge. My next one, now I know what I need to do. The only break I had was my 4 min shower so I know how you feel! NEVER AGAIN! Just remember this is what babies do. It's nerve wrecking but she's ok. We are the handful that don't get it as easy as some. ;0) In order to take care of baby, mom needs to take care of herself!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• thank you everyone im so glad im not alonei :) i know plenty of other new moms (same month i had my daughter) and their babies like neeevvverr cry! i guess i need to stop talking to them because it seriously makes me feel like im doing something wrong because mine constantly is unhappy
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 3:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2011