Prego Marinara Sauce While Pregnant?

Do things like Marinara sauce that you get from the jar do they carry food borne bacteria like listeria, since it's made from tomatoes and things. or do they process it? I'm 34 weeks pregnant and just curious, I didn't heat it up on the stove just in the microwave for 2 mintues on a bagle pizza...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would really think it should be fine... all those veggies have been cooked to make the sauce.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Jarred and canned foods are very well processed to eliminate pathogens. It's practically sterile. You are quite safe.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Sauce in a sealed jar should be sterilized, otherwise the seal wouldn't hold.

Answer by Bmat at 4:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• im sure its fine
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It should be fine as is, but I'd heat it thouroughly just to be extra safe! My doctor told me even with sandwich meat it would be fine if I heated it up in the microwave for 20 or 30 seconds.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I've been eating Prego sauce my entire pregnancy and I've been perfectly fine. I always heat the sauce in the pot with the pasta...I don't like cold or lukewarm sauce, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• im sure its just fine
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i cant believe the kinds of questions on here. really. i just shake my head. Listeria DOES NOT come from canned goods. You can get it from hot dogs, lunch meat, that sort of thing..unless you cook it till steaming hot. The bacteria in canned goods that can cause problems would be botulism or possibly salmonella (if you dont re heat it hot enough or you let it cool back off & dont put it in the fridge with in the two hour time frame) Does anybody here ever use google?

Anonymous

• well i DO NOT use google, i use aj...anyways this is my 3rd baby and it wont hurt anything to eat it like that... most of the foods we do eat wont hurt anyway......
    Anonymous

• 2min in the microwave is all you would need to make it safe to eat anyway. Enjoy mama
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2008