If you had a homeless friend that just bought a brand new car?

If you had a friend that had no where to live and no money, but somehow bought a car, would you let her stay with you? She has money for cigarettes but has been eating all our food. She sits on our computer trying to get new bank accounts and credit cards. She is on disability because she is "bi-polar" or because she has seizures... her story changes often. When she is not on the computer is is sleeping on our couch.
She literally bought a new car 8 days ago(brand new, with only 30 miles on it), yet has no where to live....
She has been going around to churches to get them to put her up in hotel rooms and one had given her 2 nights, and her brother paid for 2 nights in a hotel. She never mentions getting a job or someway to make the extra cash she needs to live....
I'm at my breaking point, what would you do?

TXColter

Asked by TXColter at 12:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Kick her butt to the curb. WOW!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Tell her she needed to leave.
    Anonymous

• I would lay down ground rules. Make her buy her own food and if she eats any of yours then she needs to pay for it. Also charge her rent. And if she doesn't like that kick her to the curb.
    It sounds like she just likes living off of other people and has no responsibility for herself. If she can afford a car, she can afford to contribute to the house hold.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• sounds like my MIL.. Kick her to the curb. She can sleep in her fancy new car
    Anonymous

• i would kick her ass to the curb
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ask her to leave. It is not your job to take responsibility for her laziness. You have to work hard, so should she. There are jobs out there for handicapped people if she is THAT bad.

I have a friend who is 26, has never lived on his own, has a 90s model durango that is constantly vandalized or breaking down... he WAS working full time at a data entry position that paid him $17+/hr, and he has NOTHING to show for it. For 3 years, he has lived off unemployment, disability, and ssi. It is sad, but he is just fine collecting his food stamps and cash assistance every month, blaming bipolar and depression... he's no where NEAR as bad as he let's on, and boasts about his "benefits" and "tax return." Even though he didn't pay a cent in taxes. Unbelievable.

However, having a debilitating anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia, or physical problems would be understandable... but it's when you give up and quit that it takes over you.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• ok, I pretty much knew she needed to go...... I'm gonna text her (she is out begging at yet another church to help her get an apt). I'm just gonna say sorry, but you need to find another place to stay and that you can't come back here.
    TXColter

Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I wouldnt let her live there, kick her out !
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• some background.... she was a dental assistant, had a nice truck and a 2 bdrm apt., met a guy started taking and mixing all kinds of pills, stopped working, started having (supposed seizures), cheated on the guy, he didn't work his parents paid for them- everything, food apt, car notes, everything. His parents put him in rehab and set her up in an rv in an rv park, when he got back her found some text where she was cheating, so his parents told her to go stay with the neighbors so they could move the rv, and they never came back! left her sitting on the neighbors porch watching them drive away!
    she lost custody of her son, but says she's too sick to take care of him anyways.
    TXColter

Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• oh, she's 32..... ok she's getting pissed off and asking why are we mad at her....... I'm telling her she made some bad decisions and she needs to deal with them herself, my husband and I are not responsible for her.
    TXColter

Comment by TXColter (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011