Sun burn blisters

Ok before anyone shoots me or calls me a bad mom I use spf 70 water proof/sports on my kids anytime they go outside.
That being said for whatever reason both my kids came in with sunburns? I reapplied every 90 minutes like it said to. My 11 yr old has a couple blisters even. They are going away but what can I do to help that process other than aloe which I am using? And why would this sun block not work? I JUST bought it last week on Tuesday.

Asked by gemgem at 12:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Was it the spray on kind? They need to be shaken before using. Plus I don't think they cover very well, not as well as putting lotion or cream on with your hands.

If it was cream or lotion though, I would call the customer service number on the bottle and talk to them about it. They could at least check the code to see if there were any issues with that batch or if it may have been expired. They may offer you a free bottle to make it up to you. They could also tell you if any of the ingredients are allergens.

We use Banana Boat Kids SPF 50 on our kids, the thick cream kind. But I bought a bottle of the spray stuff one time for me and my husband and it didn't work AT ALL. Fortunately I got it for $1, so I just tossed it. But if I spent $8 on it and it didn't work, I would be mad.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Not sure about why the sunblock didn't work. I got blisters once from sunburn when I was in middle school. My mom gave me Noxzema to use allover, which cooled it down and helped. My blisters were on my face and my mom also gave me Vitamin E to use on those. There were no lasting effects.
    Maybe try a different sunscreen with a different active ingredient?

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You may have just bought it, but it may have been expired or close to expiring - most stores don't toss out stuff like that at the end of the season, they keep it on the shelf and keep selling it for the next year or two. Check the date - it's usually stamped on the end of the bottle where it's crimped shut. I would try a different brand or variety too, and a lower spf.
    Anonymous

• My two blue-eyed blond haired girls seem to burn no matter what I do! :( I even bought SPF 110 and they still turned red - no blisters but it peeled. My other kids barely burn or just tan but none of them have blue eyes either.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My kids burn too unless I only let them stay outside a short time with SPF 50 or above and hats, sunglasses etc.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I would call the company about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No it wasnt spray kind I will call the company I was planning on it anyway. I just want to make him more comfortable. They are already starting to go away but at night he does complain.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011