Would it still have happened? did our actions cause this?

With all the protests in the middle east, I've been wondering... would Iraq have been one of the countries to protest too, and overthrow Saddam without our intervention? Or would the protests never have happened without us invading Iraq?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 12:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Saddam murdered 60,000 of his own people, his son even sent some through wood chippers.

You didn't see protests in Iraq because that's what happened to people who disagreed with Saddam.
    Anonymous

• I dont know since I am not a psychic and cant look back or forward and say. I think either way we would be there at this point like we are in Libya because he would be killing his own people. He was already doing that with them trying to overthrow him. I dont know his people would every have had the courage to do it they knew he would kill them in mass.

Answer by gemgem at 12:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I remember taking a Middle East Sociology course in college.... These types of protests were discussed as being predictable, just not known "when". I remember one professor stating, " It may not happen in my lifetime, but it WILL happen"... This was 20 years ago...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• So do you think these current protests would have happened without our current presence in the middle east?
    art.diva

Comment by art.diva (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

I think they would have happened without our presence. I think travel and technology is more to credit.... The internet, young adults , traveling to westernized countries, seeking advanced education, etc~ "experiencing" democracy, etc is more the reason for the protests.. JMO..  Many of them Hate US all while wanting to be US...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think our presence helped bring them about sooner.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• The current protests have nothing to do with the US. Nothing at all in any way, shape, or form.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Good question, yes I think the domino effect would have come into play.

And anyone who even for one second thinks we went into Iraq on a humanitarian mission, I have some swamp land in Louisiana I'd like to show you
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I doubt Iraq would have protested. Not while Saddam was alive anyway.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• This is what started the "Arab Spring" or whatever you want to call it. It's been brewing for a long time and it completely unrelated to anything the US has done to intervene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_6_Youth_Movement

Don't like that link...google April 6 Youth Movement and choose anyone you find to be credible.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011