Got sick from the Sun??

I got pretty burnt Sat ( my bad forgetting the sunscreen for me and making sure everyone else had it..grrr.. ) so here it is Monday and I am still super sore but I also can't keep anything down - do you think it relates to the sunburn? or just perfect timing for a flu bug also ?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• you got heat stroke & it can be pretty serious. It happened to me once when i was a kid. You can get flu like symptoms....Some people would go to the hospital over this.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• yup, it's called heat exaustion, there is also sun stroke.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Oh sure. There is such a thing. I've had that plenty of times from a burn. They take a toll on the body

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think there is something called sun poisoning...
    momma_twins7317

Answer by momma_twins7317 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Could be either... ask a doctor? But it could be sun related... I have to watch myself in the sun because even if I do not burn, I get heat stroke really easy and dehydrated... which will leave me like you! If you drink plenty of water, and stay inside where it is cool, and it doesn't go away... I would think flu
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes, and it could be from being dehydrated as well! Drink up and take care!!
    Evie3

Answer by Evie3 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• the sun.......stay hydrated as you can!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Awww that sucks...I've never had a sunburn (knock on wood) but I have definatly gotten sick from being in the sun too long...heat exhaustion or something my mom called it....you just feel super nausous and weak and sweaty? I've definatly felt like that...just rest mama...sorry your feeling like that and I hope you get better soon
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I've been sick like that from a sunburn. I usually have a nasty headache along with it. Maybe sun poisoning ... if it doesn't go away, you might need to go to the ER.

Sorry for typos ... typing one handed.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Sunstroke can occur when the body's mechanisms to rid itself of excess heat are overwhelmed by a very hot or humid environment, or strenuous physical activity.

People particularly susceptible to sunstroke are young children, the elderly, individuals not used to physical activity and concomitant excessive sun exposure (such as overseas visitors walking in the mountains in Africa), people suffering from certain chronic medical conditions, and those involved in certain sporting activities.

Symptoms of sunstroke include elevated body temperature; hot, dry skin; hyperventilation; mental confusion; and eventual unconsciousness.

The primary treatment goal for sunstroke is to lower the elevated body temperature rapidly in a controlled fashion.
    Sunstroke can be prevented by drinking plenty of water and avoiding overtaxing the body in hot weather and while exercising.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011