How can I get my Crepe Myrtle to flower?

My tree is about 3 yrs old. Its about 6 ft. tall. It is not flowering. Anything I can do to make it flower? We r in TX

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• give it blood meal or bone meal, also...don't cut it back so much. I hate it when people cut their crepe myrtles back to those weird looking stubs. It can sometimes shock the plant. if you do any trimming, just take off small stray branches.

You want to fertilize it with something that has high potassium & phosphorus. Nitrogen makes the green leaves grow and potassium & phosphorus are what makes the blooms grow. I would use something organic because it's good for the soil. Chemical fertilizers strip the soil of it's natural nutrition & can harm the plant further down the road.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• cool...Thank you so much!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I'm in TX too and mine are not flowering either! 2 years old. Mine are "Red Rockets" and I'm just really disappointed they aren't blooming but everyone's pink ones ARE...I've seen the lavender ones bloomed out also.
    I'm going to give mine a good dose of either "super bloom", or my crepe myrlte food. I fed them in the spring but...maybe they are lacking something. I want to see mine in bloom so much. We planted 5 in row on one end of our front lawn...I wanted to see a real 'splash" of COLOR....
    Got any kind of food you can give them today?? Let's see what happens. PM me...if you feed and let me know. I'm in Bellville,TX.
    :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I saw some red ones today.....they are super pretty. I mostly see pink and white. I really like the red though...wow. I went to the store and purchased some organic miracle grow blood meal and bone meal. I am going to wait until the sun goes down a bit before I give it and water. I did read that possibly the reason is that they are not getting enough water and that it may need mulch to keep it moist. So I am going to baby it and see what happens.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It is too early in the season - they usually flower late summer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• Here in TX they are going full bore....everyone's crepe myrtles are really beautiful this week! Some are so heavy with blooms they are drooping, LOL.. What a gorgeous sight. I guess I'm going to have to baby my little 2yr olds along too....I've GOT to see some color on those this year.
    Thought I would check back and see what you found out. I hope it works for you!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• That is what I thought too tasches...it seems really early this year but everywhere they are full of blooms. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I have been reading about soil all day. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2011