I am looking for advice on giving birth at home.

I am looking for advice on giving birth at home. The only ob office in town tried to kill my baby in an er visit where the ob insisted that I had a tubular in a tube I DON"T HAVE and refused all care but cutting out my healthy pregnancy that I just learned I had. So now there is no trusted obs to get care from so I am left with home birth as a safer chance at life for my baby... need advice, video how to and so on... I don't need pain meds I can do without but I want my husband to know what he is doing to help our baby.

Also could use a list of supplies you needed or used... just in case.

Mommy_Aiken

Asked by Mommy_Aiken at 12:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• So you sont want any medical personal there with you at home, just you and your husband? I dont feel that, thats the best idea. Anything could go wrong and if neither of you are trained on what to do if something happens like you bleed out or your baby isnt breathing. The hopspital is the best place for you to give birth. Why dont you try going to the next town over and go to the doctor, im sure it will be worth the drive if you are having problems where your living now.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Have you looked for any certified nurse-midwives or licensed midwives in your area? Or are you planning on having an unattended birth? Most midwives are fine with being hands-off if that's your choice, but it's best to have a professional there just in case of an emergency. A midwife won't push unnecessary medical procedures or meds on you, and can help guide you through the birth and post-partum process, as well as assess your baby. It's definitely worth looking into if you haven't already.
    There are really neat birth tubs if you're thinking about a water birth. My favorite that I've seen is the Birth Pool In A Box. Cool stuff!!
    Again, I STRONGLY advise you look into a midwife for your prenatal care and birth attendant. Good luck!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I hope you do realize that your terrible expirience is not anywhere near the norm! What happened to you was not acceptable. I hope you will consider finding a way to safely have your baby where emergency care could be given if the worse did happen during delivery. Maybe you could even go to a different location for the birth of your baby. Look up birthing centers in cities near you. Good luck to you.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Also, even though I may get votes down for this one, home births are actually safer than hospital births for normal births. There is a lower risk of infection and a lower risk of unnecessary interventions that can lead to complications. Most women are more comfortable at home than in some weird hospital, and therefore are more able to relax and allow their bodies to do the talking. That said, again, I advise you to look into a midwife. Again, most will allow your husband to deliver if that's what you choose, and they can teach him how to do so properly ahead of time, and even guide him through as it's happening.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I know it's dangerous. A friend of mine almost died because she chose to do a home birth.

She delivered the baby and her uterus ruptured, she almost bled to death. Thank God for a quick 911 response team.

However, you could find a mid-wife or doula.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You find a midwife. Google "**your state** midwives". Start calling around, find one you like and start care with her. It's pretty straightforward. I've had a home birth and it was wonderful.

If you want to go completely unassisted, get the book "Unassisted Birth" and read EVERYTHING about unassisted birth. Get your hubby certified in neonatal resuscitation. Learn what to look for and when to transfer. Be VERY educated and make sure you have enough support. Birth is safe, but just like everything in life, it can go wrong. Get educated, get ready and make sure you are prepared.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Also, a midwife's care is VERY different from an OB's care. It's like night and day. Don't be afraid to try out a home birth midwife because of the terrible OB in the hospital.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You can have a wonderful & safe homebirth experience, many women do it everyday!!
    :-D

I love homebirthing, have enjoyed helping many through it, I think you'll really enjoy it!

There are many things you can do to prepare, we can help, but there will be more thorough help than the "Cafemom Answers Section."
    Would you like a midwife (normal birth specialist) or will you prefer Unassisted Birthing?
    Sooo many options~~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i LOVED my homebirths!!!!
    The same midwife was there for all of them : )
    I would not do an unassisted birth though.
    homebirthing is so comfortable! you are allowed to let your body do what it was made to do without any one medical doing interventions!!
    i had one hospital birth, and it was so unpleasant!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• For those of you who believe the hospital is the best place for my birth you should know that it is this "safe" hospital that argued with me for my second son/child that I was not in labor... until it was to late to get proper compassionate care or even the care you would give a dog. It is also this "safe" hospital that tried to kill this baby I want to have at home for its best chance at life. I am open to a midwife but was not sure where they worked... ie home births. However, I am due in the winter and have to consider the chance of everyone being snowed in and believe that being educated to do it ourselves is the safest thing to insure the health of this baby. You can learn cpr but that does not mean you will ever use it but bet that the life you save when someone chokes on diner that they will be thankful. Thanks to the moms who are giving good advice and recommendations as asked hope to come across more like you.
    Mommy_Aiken

Comment by Mommy_Aiken (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2011