If you wanted an epidural but things didn't go as planned and you ended up having the child naturally, was it what you expected?

Are you happy that things turned out that way?

Did it make you choose to have your other kids naturally too?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Lets put it this way....I made sure to ask for the Ep much earlier with the 2nd baby. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My DD was in a rush to get here. I had an epi with DS afew years ago and had no ill effects and was planning it for her birth. But she never gave me a chance. Since I survived her entry into the world I decided to try to do this one naturally also. Keep your fingers crossed---- I will be having this one soon and am getting nervous!
    chrys45

Answer by chrys45 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i planed to have one with all 4 of my children but they always came out to fast i think that is was better that i had them with out it i dont have the back pain that some of my friends have that did get one.
    latoyadouglas

Answer by latoyadouglas at 1:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I went through this. I had originally wanted the epidural because a friend advised me that if I was in a lot of pain to get it, that I'd want to remember the birth and not all the pain. I didn't end up getting it because I dilated quickly but it turned out okay. If I do have anymore children I probably try to have them naturally too.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Women who don't prepare for natural birth often have more pain, as they aren't aware-ready for alternative coping strategies.
    And some women will have an epidural that doesn't full work/work at all. They think this is "natural" laboring. Well, it's a LOT harder (more painful) to cope through pain tethered in a reclined position on a bed. We aren't designed to handle labor this way.
    :-(

It's important to note that preparation makes a big difference.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• This happened to me with baby number 4. I'm not pregnant with baby number 5 and hoping to not have to ask for the epi this time. Although last time it was only 4 hours 15 minutes from my 1st contraction to her being born, so if that's a repeat, then I think I can definitely handle it.

I wasn't happy at the time it turned out that way, but a few days later as I regained feeling down there, I did feel proud. Especially when I saw the discharge papers from me leaving the hospital in the the anesthesia box, it was checked, none. I actually thought the pain would have made birth control, but obviously it didn't because here I am, pregnant again.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I didnt want it I had my child naturally and it was fine three pushes she was out
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011