Work Advice

I'm a cashier at Toys R Us. At my job, we're required to sell buyer protection plans to customers. I worked at a different Toys R Us for a year, and was actually fired for not selling them - my old manager is now at a different store and did me a huge favor by hiring me back, as long as I could sell. And I am... way better than I was before. But apparently I'm still not doing as well as they would like me too - my manager has complete faith in me (thank God) and she can see that I'm improving, but she knows I can do better. I know she's (probably) right, but I can't seem to find the perfect way to sell them.
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the plans (or if the Toys R Us' in the states even have the same thing), but here's the jist of it: there are several different price ranges, and each price range has a protection plan for a different price. The plan is, essentially, really good - covers whatever it is for 15 months, sends you a gift card for the full price... I always try to sell it for bikes, outside things, or items that can't be returned (like breast pumps) - but when those things aren't going through my till at all, I'm screwed.

So... how would you ladies sell it? How would you word it when you ask?

I'm up for any advice here. I want to do well and make my manager know that she didn't make a mistake by hiring me back. I have faith in myself, but I need to find my niche. People at work have given me their advice, but it seems like what works for any of them just doesn't work for me.

Oh, and if anyone has any questions about the plan that I might've been vague about, I can answer those too.

Thanks in advance ladies. :)

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can't sell what you're not offering... when you have an item that could be covered, then make your pitch. I'd consider such a plan for electronics and "durable" toys. But if you're not ringing up anything but Barbie dolls and Pokemon cards, then you won't get many chances.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It can only be sold on things that run on batteries or have moving parts anyway - things like that aren't even eligible. But there are still a LOT of items in the store that count - something like 80% of the store, actually. It's everything in between the bikes/scooters, breastpumps, and the occasional remote control vehicle that I have trouble with - and those things aren't going through my till all that often.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011