Many poor tropical countries point out that a hectare of shrimp ponds can provide 1000 times as much annual income as the same area in an intact mangrove forest. What are the arguments for and against saving man.groves?

NO I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me lol. I am supposed to debate this issue with a freind or classmate, but my class is online so we cant really do that I really dont have any friends who know anything about this, so I am just trying to get different sides to this so that I can have a debate to answer my question with thank you

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in

• Mangroves are an essential part of those eco systems and provide those areas with a significant buffer against tropical storms.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't really have a strong opinion on this...but if I were assigned to debate on the side of cutting them down...some thoughts I would research would be.

1) the starvation and poverty of the people in the areas.
    2) Anything can be argued to be an "essential" part of the eco-system, and you're talking about cutting a small part, not all of it. (like northwest loggers do a thinning as opposed to clear cutting)
    3) let the people who would actually be effected by a tsunami decide...let them choose risks vs benefits and explore other tsunami safety options.
    Anonymous

• Well...essential as in ALL the animals, lots of which are endangered species, who live in that area depend on that as a source of food & shelter. Marine animals mate and keep thier nurseries there...

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You really can "win" the debate no matter what side you get. You get scored on clear arguments with facts for back ups, and following the form of opening argument, statements, rebuttals and closing argument.

Just remember for class you need specific numbers and facts; you're only getting basic concepts here to direct your research.

Good luck.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• What about a shrimp hatchery?
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 4:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Hard for me to believe that a shrimp pond would produce the same or greater benefit than a mangrove as far as supporting a diversity of wildlife.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Fish farming on a commercial basis is a risky proposition for the medium and longer term especially with regard to disease and pollutuion . Undeveloped mangrove swamps have provided healthy habitats for centuries and supported human populations as well . i cannot see any benefit to destroying them .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011