How "Free" is YOUR state? A study of Personal Liberty~

Based on the Parameters described by George Mason University, where does your state rank? "This study comprehensively ranks the American states on their public policies that affect individual freedoms in the economic, social, and personal spheres......  Click for Details"

OVERALL FREEDOM RANKING Top 10

1. New Hampshire

2. South Dakota

3. Indiana

4. Idaho

5. Missouri

6. Nevada

7. Colorado

8. Oregon

9. Virginia

10. North Dakota

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I live in Arizona and I think we can all recall the national debate last year about our illegal immigration bill.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

This study is analyzing freedoms of LEGAL citizens... Did you see where AZ was ranked in this study? Do you agree with the study?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Good post!

Doesn't NH also have an elected member of the socialist party in congress? Or did they at one time? Interesting if they do/did.

When i was in college during a talk about freedom Intro to Communism class a girl said "Everybody here talks about freedom this and freedom that...you guys have laws that require you to cut your lawns and govern which types of vehicles you can park in your driveway." She was from Serbia. While i have no problem justifying either of those laws I get what she was saying.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I like this post and its very interesting! I live in one of the worst states for overall freedom but I do like and agree with the study.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• NC's overall is 18. It doesn't always feel like we are in the top 20. I feel regulated to death.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Oregon # 8????? Seriously?? As a military wife I have lived in a lot of states. Oregon is by far the most restrictive state I have ever lived in.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Idaho is #4.... interesting... but I guess its not that surprising. Idaho is pretty repressive, but not because of politics, but religion.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

Answer by jesse123456

But you've got to remember that those rankings are in relation to other states, not to "freedom" in and of itself. It's possible that you are regulated to death, just less death than people in other states.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• #5 :)
    jhcz

Answer by jhcz at 2:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Doesn't NH also have an elected member of the socialist party in congress?

Vermont--Bernie Sanders
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011