Will my baby grow out of his allergy to cow's milk?

Apparently, my son has developed an allergy to cow's milk. He's now on Nutramigen, and I was wondering if he was going to be lactose intolerant all his life? I've read some baby grow out of by the time they are toddlers. I know I can't give him any milk products until he's a year old, but I wondered what I'd have to do for him if he's still allergic to it by then.

brttnywrdrp

Asked by brttnywrdrp at 1:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• He might, but he might not. If he doesn't you'll have to be careful about his diet, and make sure teachers and such are aware of his allergy. There was a child in my son's kindergarten class that was so severely allergic to peanuts we were asked to not send our kids with PB&J, or if we did it was VERY closely monitored so that child did not have a reaction.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my son was lactose intolerant, he's 16 months now and has already grown out of it. we used to buy lactose free stuff for him, you can get loads of lactose free stuff.
    proud-mummy

Answer by proud-mummy at 2:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Does he have a milk allergy or is he lactose intolerant? Those are two separate things.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• MegMurry is right, an allergy and lactose intolerance are 2 separate things. They are issues with 2 different things. The milk allergy is to the proteins in milk, lactose intolerance is an issue with the sugar in the milk.

He can grow out of either. If he is tolerating Nutramigen then his allergy isn't that severe. Nutramigen still has some milk proteins in it, it is just more broken down and easier to digest.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 5:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• He sure can. The ONLY allergy that can not be outgrown is to peanuts or nuts. That one tends to get worse and not better. Atleast that is what I was told by an allergist.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2011

• See his doctor confused me. She wrote lactose intolerant on the paper, but the code she gave the nutritionalist is for a soy protein allergy, I think she said. Thank you for clarifying that for me though. I was holding him while we talked and he was fussy still then. Hard to hear over a crying baby.
    brttnywrdrp

Comment by brttnywrdrp (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my dd was on that same formula for milk allergry and she outgrew hers , we found out she was allergic cause she stayed sick and had blood in her stool. but by age of 1 they started testing her slowly, (she seen a specialist ) and she outgrew hers,loves milk and drinks it everyday now, (she is 10)
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011