What are the best way to lose weight after knee surgery?

WhenWillItHapen

Asked by WhenWillItHapen at 1:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• High protien diet is the best if you move that much. Cut breads, rice, pasta, diet soda. It does work.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You still need to exercise. Get a stability ball and do stuff on there. Obviously nothing high impact. If you have a gym membership or access to a physical therapy office, they may have a hand bike, which is basically pedaling with your arms. It's an AMAZING workout! Are you in physical therapy yet? They can show you leg exercises that will help strengthen your knee and your joints without further damaging your knee that's specific to what you had done. There is still plenty you can do if you do some research. If you have healed enough, you can swim, just do pulls (use a float between your thighs so you don't have to kick, and you just swim with your arms). Make sure you're eating right. No processed foods, no refined carbs (sugar, white/enriched flour, etc), lean proteins, tons of fresh fruits and veggies. Small frequent meals. No beverages that aren't water. You can do this!! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Get suggestions for a PT. I've had 1 knee surgery for a torn ligament in my left knee and NO surgery on torn cartilidge in my right knee. Walk Away The Pounds was low enough to work for me and strengthen my legs and knees.....I lost 50 pounds with it several years ago, about 1 year after my right knee injury. But part of PT for both injuries was walking and riding my bike
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• talk to your doctor or surgeon and they should give you some ideas
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Please don't go for the extreme quick fix approach.
    Here is how people lose weight and keep it off. http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm No big surprises either. Just common sense stuff.
    Water aerobics (assuming you are far enough out from surgery) is probably the safest way to exercise with knee issues. Check your local YMCA or city pool.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011