Am I overreacting?

My daughter report card for her first grade came unsigned - not by her teacher, nor by principal. I wrote an e-mail to the teacher and director asking to confirm that these are the grades, but they simply ignored my e-mail so far.

My brother told me that I am crazy signophill ;-), that since she goes to the second grade at the same school this should be just fine and I should leave it alone.

I, though feel uncomfortable that the report is not signed, my friend told me to bring eye witness when the signature done, since once their teacher indicated that she did not signed anything like that.

So far, end of the year and I feel literally crazy. My reaction comes from several reasons, at the beginning of the year my daughter was graded extremely low for no apparent reason to me and the report came unsigned (that time the teacher simply refused to sign it, as well as principal, stating that they do not sign beginning of the year report). Then the report came and my daughter was graded proficient even in the areas i would say she needed more work, signed only by principal. Now it came completely unsigned again. I do agree with this report right now. I disagree with their assignment of reading level, but anyhow...The absence of signature is driving me nuts...

But I guess I am going to simply ask the teacher to sign, the director to sign and that's it. What do you think?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly, I have never noticed if anyone ever signed my kids report cards. what does it matter?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Why does it even matter?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ok...i guess in this absence of signature came out an enormous mistrust that i developed to this particular teacher...She did so many wrong things (to my mind)- She gave my daughter several math tests in one time and chose the lowest grade, she did not allow higher level DRA reading test even in presence of independent evidence that my daughter does read better than her estimation, she ignored her for several weeks in terms of reading and writing groups... that this one drove me complete nuts. I feel an idiot, I cannot think even one reason why this signature is matter, but for some reason I feel that it does... ;-(.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ours come printed by the school computer. If it does have a signature, it's a rubber stamped one. I have 3 kids, one is in HS which has 1500 kids and the other two are in elementary school which has about 500 kids. Both schools do it much the same way. When a kid tests proficient, it means that's the results per state mandated testing. I do think you are overreacting. Contact the school and set up a meeting if you don't agree with their assessment. You can always arrange for a tutor over the summer to bring her up to speed.

I think you are hung up on the signature and aren't seeing the whole picture.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• No, I do agree with the school report- my daughter is advanced in 4 areas and proficient at the rest. She has a tutor over course of the whole year and will have one in summer. I feel that she is discriminated in terms of reading level, but, oh well...this is not an exact science, i feel that the school played with the grades at their pleasure without taking the responsibility (signing it) or so.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• You have the report card and it has her grades on it. If you agree with her grades, I don't think that there will be any discrepancy down the road as far as this particular report card goes. At my kids school there are no signatures at all on the report cards. If we have issues with it then we schedule conferences.
    So yes, I think in the instance you are over reacting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• If you want it signed I dont see why it is a big deal for them to do it for you.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It sounds to me like they are not good about communicating via email. i would call and speak to them or go up to the school.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• it wouldnt bother me
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I don't think you will get an answer from the email, for some reason she isn't going to sign it. If you feel she was graded right then let it go.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011