What types of food should we eliminate from our diets and what can we replace them with in order to eat healthier?

Okay..So..my big idea for the month...were replacing all our vegetable oils and cooking with olive oil instead, lol.
But after that..I guess I'm really at a loss on what else to eliminate , other than the obvious..like cake,cookies,and other junk foods.
My mom says to eliminate FATS..okay..but how? I guess i'm just overwhelmed and confused.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Canola oil is still okay. You should reduce the amount of oil, period, but you still need healthy fats in your diet. Try getting the butter and other saturated fats out instead. Go with lean cuts of meats instead of fattier cuts. Lean ground meats and turkey. Choose whole grains over refined (enriched=refined). Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Your only beverage should be water. No juice, soda (even diet), Gatorade, etc. No processed foods- everything from scratch! It tastes better, it has less sodium, and it has WAY more vitamins. I add veggie purees to all sorts of foods- meat loaf, spaghetti sauce, burgers, etc. Very easy way to get more vitamins in everything. You can also add flax and wheat germ to any kind of batter- pancake, bread dough, etc. I make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce from scratch periodically, and I freeze it in Zip-Loc bags in batches big enough for one dinner. Easy for when I don't want to cook! GL!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Say you're making spaghetti, use ground turkey instead of ground hamburger( if you use it), replace your jar of spaghetti sauce with one with less sugar and more vegetables. Also add some fresh veggies. It's a simple substitute.

replace your regular mayo for lowfat mayo. use spray ranch instead of full fat. pick leaner cuts of meat. If you must have bread don't get any type that have the word "enriched" in it. Go for whole wheat or multi grain. If you or your family are craving sugar make your own popsicles with 100% fruit juice.

Good Luck.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 2:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Instead of white rice, choose brown rice.
    Instead of regular pasta, choose whole wheat pasta (check the ingredients - first ingredient should be 100%).
    Instead of white potatoes, choose sweet potatoes.
    Instead of boxed mixes, choose homemade.
    Instead of white flour, choose whole wheat (or half & half).
    Instead of instant oatmeal, choose old fashioned or steel cut oats.
    Instead of canned fruits/veggies, choose fresh or frozen without sauces or syrups.
    Instead of a head of iceberg lettuce, choose a leafier, greener, or mixed variety.
    Instead of canned soup, make homemade.
    Instead of salt, use other herbs/spices.
    Hmm...I'm trying to think of the changes we've made and this is what I'm coming up with without straining my brain to hard :S
    Anonymous

• Watch out for HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup)..try to eliminate that from your diet as well. Try greek yogurt! Go meatless one or twice a week.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Don't eliminate fats, eliminate bad fats. Some are good for you, others... not so much. Monounsaturated help lower bad cholesterol while boosting the good ones. Polyunsaturated fats are often a good source of Omega-3. Along with olive oil, include canola to your pantry. It is less expensive than cooking with olive all the time.

When eliminating fats, look for saturated fats- these are the ones to limit or rid from your diet..
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• dont eliminate fats, that's dangerous, but avoid or greatly cut down on saturated fats. Olive oil is good, but some recipes wouldn't taste good with it. Fresh fruits and vegies are always good. Frozen vegies are actually very healthy, especailly when you steam them. Keep sweets to a minimum. Ice cream, cakes, cookies, candy etc...are all fine as long as they are a special treat only.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Another thing, try to watch your sodium intake. I stopped buying canned goods. I only buy frozen or fresh veggies and I cook a big pot of beans once per month and freeze them.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thats awesome Bugzmomma :) Thankyou!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• anon has a lot of great ideas!!
    you can use coconut oil and/ or olive oil.
    look for all natural or organic processed foods, but for the most part do most of your cooking from scratch.
    we aim for 8 veggies a day, and 3 liters of water a day.
    just pay real close attention to your ingredients, chances are if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't have it.

good luck to you!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011