How do I handle my almost 3 year olds really bad temper tantrums?

My daughter will be 3 in july and her tantrums are now consisting of her pulling her hair out, biting herself and trying to put her hand down her throat to throw up. If we are in public, and I carry her out, she will slap me acrost the face really hard or grab my hair and pull as hard as she can. I have been going into into a less crowded area and very calmly sit down within 6 ft from her until she calms down. I will tell her that i am here for her when she is ready. Sometimes this will go on for 1/2 hour. She is very demanding and wants me come to her and pick her up and I have not given into these demands. This only ads fuel to the fire. Afterwards, she is the most loving child and will just melt into my arms. Does anyone have any suggestions as to handling these tempers?

momat41yo

Asked by momat41yo at 2:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like she has some issues that need to be taken care of. Have you talked to her Dr. about this?
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 2:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She is very strong willed. I have talked to her dr about that. But, I will in depth more at her 3 year check up.
    momat41yo

Comment by momat41yo (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• 1) when she slaps you or pulls your hair grab her hand firmly and in your best Mommy Voice say, "You DO NOT hit me/pull my hair"

2) When you're at home and she's throwing a tantrum puck her up and sit her down in the middle of her room, telling her that she can come out when she's calm again. Or that tantrums do not belong in the "public" rooms of the house. My daughter HATES being isolated from the rest of the family, so she'll turn off the tantrum like the flick of a switch.

She's doing this for the attention. My daughter did/does too. She turned 4 in March, and still has her bad days. She also started her "terrible two's" at 16 months. I SO feel your frustrations. My daughter is also the sweetest thing after a meltdown.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2011