Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How hard is this decision?

A friend of mine has been told his children can no longer be alone with his wife. She has some serious issues. This all happened a few months ago. Well a few days ago he was told she has to be out of the house by Friday or they will take the kids. He is thinking about taking his kids to his parents house for a few weeks so Child Services can't take his kids. His wife has problems and he is afraid if he kicks her out that she might hurt herself. Personally, I would have had her out a long time ago.

The problems all started when the youngest was born about six months ago. He was a very colicky baby. Apparently he was screaming for hours one day and she set him on the front porch in his baby carrier and left him there. Then her sister was over one day and found the baby in a baby bath just chilling. She wasn't paying any attention to him. Then the middle child supposedly fell from monkey bars (he is 2) and broke his arm. Finally the oldest who is six told his dad that his mom would leave him alone with his siblings for hours at a time. She swore that it was long enough to run down the street and check the mail but still at 6, 2 and 6 months they were not old enough to be on their own at all. Lots of other stuff happened but these are the main things. Other stuff has included the kids having to fend for themselves for lunch because the mom is still sleeping.

Answer Question

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,288 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • I would call CPS and tell them what he plans on doing. The woman needs help yes, but she has NO business being around those kids

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • It should be a no brainer. Get the kids away from her and keep her away from them.

    Answer by dancer at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • It may be a hard decision for dad because despite the things his wife lacks as a mother..he probably loves her for whatever reason.Sounds like she has major PPD.For the sake of the children,dad needs to take his kids and go.Mom needs to get psychological counseling.This needs to happen before those poor children end up a news report. :(

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Someone needs to help her.. Sounds like PPD postpartum depression.. He shouldn't kick her out, he should take her to the Doctor.. Not sure if CPS will take the kids away as long as there is another adult watching/caring for the children.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 2:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • Sorry - Maybe I wasn't completely clear. He was thinking of taking the kids to his parents house while he tries to help his wife. That way the kids are safe. But his parents live in another state so it wouldn't be like he could see them.

    Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I think that's precisely what NEEDS to happen, and mom needs professional help STAT.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I'm not sure what the question is... The kids need be to be safe, the wife needs to be safe. Bring to the kids to his parents, call the police if there are any signs of trouble. Hopefully she'll get the help she needs.

    Answer by whomi at 2:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • She has refused any and all help to date. I am not sure what he thinks a few weeks will do.

    Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • I would make her go stay with parents, not the kids!

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 7:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

  • He needs to take steps immediately for the children's sake. She should not be left alone with her children at all. Has she been evaluated by a doctor? It seems she may have post partum depression. Either way this seems like nothing a few weeks away can cure. Take the children to his parents house. If he is fearful of what his wife may do, then he needs to call the police or take necessary action so that she can get help.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.