Any tips on helping my 39 month old nephew who is deathly afraid to even SIT on the potty?

my sister just started potty training, and is having a hard time getting her 39month old son to sit on the potty or the toilet. he will stand and pee, but has not been successful with #2 since he won't even sit down! she says he is deathly afraid to even sit? any tips? help??? (I potty trained my DD at 20 months old, so my advice is not applicable for a boy at that age?! HELP!)

JayGirlsMom

Asked by JayGirlsMom at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe he is scared because he has fallen into the potty, or someone has pushed him in. Poor guy. I have 2 boys and never have had this problem. GL
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My daughter was like that. She was petrified. Finally, at 3 1/2 my husband forced her on the potty and wouldn't let her up until she went. I know it sounds terrible, but once she did it she was thrilled with herself. She ran upstairs to put big girl underwear on and she was trained!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Let him pick out the seat. I tried potty training my son around 21 months and he started out okay but he just wasn't ready. I waitied a few months and tried again. All of a sudden he was deathly afraid of his potty. Around age 3, my husband took him out and let him pick out his own potty. No issues with it, he is still scared of the other potty! He is 4 1/2 and still not fully trained (he's special needs) but at least he will try multiple times a day.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011