If you are a parent who is not technically religious but believe in giving your kids the option to whatever they want to believe, how do you go about it?

if both parents are not very religious but they are still sorta spiritually hopeful that their is some sort of heaven and even possibly some sort of greater being watching over.... but they believe more in evolution, facts and science (which obviously defy religion), ~i dont know if there is an actual 'description' for that specific of a belief is there???
With their own children they want them to have the option to believe or not to believe without forcing their kids either way,
how would a parent go about it without forcing one view point or the other down the childrens throats?

RobinEsMommy

Asked by RobinEsMommy at 2:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• that sounds like us - our son is only 3-1/2 and this winter we plan to go to a Unitarium type church setting.. we want him to be around communities and people who want to help each other and do good things for other etc but at the same time, we aren't active believers so its going to be a fine line. I wasn't raised religious and it was up to me to explore and when you aren't raised with it, you don't even know how to go about it so I want to do a little more for him so he can make his own decisions so I will and plan to teach him about how many different beliefs and religions there are out there but I feel its too early right now to go in depth with that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• science does not defy religion. I believe in both. I believe that G-D created the earth and everything on it, but those things still evolve. Time is a man made concept, so 7 days to G-D could be 1million years to humans.

Anonymous

• I'm going to let my son decide what ever he wants but my mom in law is almost twisting my arm to get him baptized.... =_=
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• That's how I was raised, and to be honest I don't remember my parents doing or saying anything in particular. We celebrated Christmas and Easter and were taught the meaning of both. We were allowed to attend any church services with our friends of any religion. I love my faith, I do wish it would be more organized and that is a working process for me right now though.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Our son is only 3 1/2, so we haven't even started yet, but I plan on educating him to the best of my ability on all of his options. I'll just teach him and expose him to whatever I can (granted, in the Bible belt, I doubt I'll be able to expose him to much outside of my collection of books, but if he ever has the chance I'll make sure he gets to take it). I want him to be free to find his own way, but I also want him to understand all of the options out there, especially because I want him to have respect and compassion for people of all beliefs, and I know that instilling a real understanding in him will help to do that. I will always let him know that what path he decides to follow is up to him - I will support him 100% - I just care more that he is a compassionate human being who understands what it is he believes, and what it is he rejects.

I'd love to find a UU church, but the closest is over an hour away... :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• It's kind of possible.

According to something I just read from my church, there are 2 flavors of protestant church- modernist and evangelical. The modernist (mine is mostly) believes that science will teach us how to heal people and set up God's world better- kind of "heal my people" stuff (or was it "heal my lambs"? I forget. Anyway). You may want to look into these denominations. Also, they tend to concentrate on lots of "help people in the community" stuff like food/blood drives, missions overseas, etc., which is a good point of embarcation. I'm thinking methodist, probably unitarian... look & see what's up near you. Call & ask them where they stand, what they do.

However, on the "let children believe if they want"... They will learn from whatever you do, that shows your true beliefs. I learned church is only for holidays, took 30 years to change that. Maybe share your experiences/feelings as you try churches?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• sounds somewhat like our situation. We believe in a higher being- don't get me wrong, but science is well science and kids now days ask questions HARD questions and its hard to prove/disprove very scientific facts.

The best we do is tell our kids that the belief in something higher than us is mostly about LOVE. To love one another and have love in your heart... you dont have to go to church to have love for others and be a good person. I also teach them it is better to believe and be a good person and at the end - nothing be there than to be bad and at the end- something be there and you have to be held responsible for your actions.

It basically about doing what best in your heart and the rest will follow. To me, there is no denomonation that can make ME a better person, that is my job.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i send my toddler to church with her grandparents. she's not old enough to grasp sermons, but it's good for her to get the socialization in the playroom. i'd like my kids to be able to make an informed decision as to what they believe instead of just this is what i was raised with so it has to be right.
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 3:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Science and religion are not separate entities. Some religious believers have a problem with that concept. You might check out the new book by Vincent Bugliosi, called "The Divinity of Doubt."

We've explained our beliefs in God to our son, and that whether you believe in God or not, there's still a First Cause for the universe. We choose to call it God.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Sounds like you may be what's called "an old earth creationist" that describes people who believe that God created the earth using our natural laws of nature as tools; even evolution.

There actually are lots of faiths that are fine with members being old earth creationists. My church doesn't care how long you think it took to make the earth, or the exact methods. We got members with all sorts of theories and ideas on this, we just all agree that God did it.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011