Does any of your kids do this or is mine the only strange one?lol

My 2 year old daughter will chew up meat and spit it out instead of swallowing it. For example, I made chicken nuggets today for lunch.I gave her 4.She asked for more...this is after she chewed up and spit out the 4.I gave her 2more to see what she would do.Same thing!
I called up dh about it.He says he notices her doing that a lot at dinner with her meat..he says she does it with most meats. She sits next to him at the dinner table...I'm usually paying attention to the baby, feeding him,lol. I've never noticed how much she does it, I mean I knew she did it from time to time but not often. I'm home all day and do serve her bfast and lunch and sit with her to eat..but I don't make meat very often for those meals.
So..is this a normal thing or what??

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my two-year-olds (I have twins) does do this. It's not constant, but it is recurring. Cutting the meat smaller can help, and also it is less a factor if the meat is tender. But sometimes he just puts several pieces in at once (or rather adds more as he's chewing the first bite, before he's swallowed, and builds up too much) so if he crams too much in smaller pieces doesn't solve things.
    I think sometimes the (over) full mouth triggers him to spit out what he's chewed; sometimes it's the texture.
    There are vegetables he loves, but will sometimes chew & spit onto his plate. It's happened with Brussels sprouts and also with asparagus. I think it's a texture thing, because I've noticed when the asparagus spears (my own) are a tad woody/stringy, he will spit out almost every one after chewing it. When they are in season & more tender, he eats normally (a lot!!)
    He is close to three & doing less of this. We've never reacted.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My kids never did that. My 2 yr. old will chew something and spit it out if she doesn't like it, but she won't keep trying it after that.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 2:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• OMG.. My son does that.. its getting less and less but he used to do this a TON with bacon or sausage and pork, so what i did was slowly chewed my food and I did realize the more it was chewed, the drier it got and harder to swallow! lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My son only does it if its something he doesn't like or its something really fatty and he can't chew it enough to swallow.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• its probably because it is so hard to chew and swollow, even I have an issue w/ meat and usually cut it in the tinyest pieces for my kids. Its normal. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My son used to do that around 2 but has stopped now (he is 2.5). My daughter has started to do that with meats, she is 18 months.
    I would just tell my son that if he isn't going to eat his meat and put it in his belly than he can't have anymore. As long as she is eating and getting enough protein in her diet than wouldn't worry much.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My son will does it with steak. We think it's because he likes the flavor, just not the texture.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my dd does that but not only with meat. Veggies too, find that it's foods she doesn't really care for. lol She is getting better with it though. We tell her that it's rude to spit her food out and she would sit there with the same mouthful forever!!! We'd tell her to drink her milk with it to help wash it down! lol
    More recently she's so proud of herself for eating select veggies on her own that she will open her mouth and say see I eat beans! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My kiddos never did that but im pretty sure that all of us have a story about r kids and wonder if anyone else goes thru it!!!
    hiselbobbie1

Answer by hiselbobbie1 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• all my boys did that with meat. they pretty much outgrew it!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011