Do You Have a Storm Shelter? Does anyone know the cost?

So I don't know why buy I have been thinking a lot of us getting a storm shelter built onto our primary house. We do not have a basement and though our area doesn't have a history of tornadoes, it is definitely not unheard of in our state. Actually, we have a lot of high winds incidents here. I walk around my house and there really is not a place in there that I think would keep us safe.

So mama's what do you think? Do you have one? Was it very expensive? I am guessing that it will cost about $6000 to install one, but not sure.

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If you build it outside, you either have to exit your home and expose yourself and your family to whatever the danger is outside ... or potentially risk some people not making it into the shelter. If you add the entrance to your existing home, you stand a much better chance of making it into the shelter.

I can't help you out with the costs ... those vary from one contractor to the next. Pay a LOT of attention to the ventilation that is built in, because without good ventilation a shelter can be a living tomb.

We built our own and spent just under $1000 ~ and could live in it indefinitely if the house was completely gone. We're also out in the boonies, in a self-contracting state, and our land isn't attached to or incorporated into any town/city. Ours sleeps 8, has two cisterns for water (plus filtration for more), food storage, and can hold our pets (but not our livestock).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I live in Alabama, so we have been looking since the tornadoes. They range anywhere from 4,000 and up.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Depends on what you are looking for. An outside one, with no enterence from the house, how many people you want to fit in it...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• up to 8 people and I do want to be able to enter from the house but y9es I want it outside and underground.
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I do in my rental but not the ranch I am living on right now.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2011