Question involving divorce....

I am a Catholic, who are really against divorce. My sister is separated from her husband, but seeing other men. I told my her if she wasn't planning on going back to him she needed to divorce him. Anyone else I would have just kept it to myself. Being Catholic, I feel divorce is better in the eyes of the lord than sleeping around while married. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that when you get married you have devoted your life and self to that person. If you are not happy in the marriage sleeping with someone else is not the answer to solving the problem. I am a firm believer on being faithfull to your partner. If you feel the need to sleep with other people than get a divorce.
    tazzer_1998

Answer by tazzer_1998 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree!

Answer by older at 4:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think I agree with you.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with you as well.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• catholic or not, religious or not..if she wants to remain emotionally healthy, and clear-headed, she'd wait until her divorce was final, before not only dating, but having sex with other men. JMHO..and if she is holding up the divorce, but still sleeping around, she's got more issues than you probably care to know about.
    if there is custody of children or financial issues involved in the divorce preceedings, she's be smart to stay 'clean'..or things could get ugly for her if her soon-to-be ex-dh is pissed off enough. sometimes divorce is easy; sometimes it gets really nasty, and one of the couple sleeping around certainly can make for a nastier fight. just sayin'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Even if she isn't Catholic, I'm not seeing the moral difference between her sleeping around while separated and sleeping around while divorced. Is she lying to her ex? If she's adding dishonesty to her causal sex, I guess that's worse, but if he knows she's "dating", I'm really not understanding the difference.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• A divorce can take months or even a few years to happen. Some states require a year-long separation before the process can get started. While it would be 'moral' to wait until she has the papers on hand, it's not always realistic.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She isn't Catholic so her views are different. It is her life not yours. You wouldn't do that but it doesn't mean she wouldn't because you won't. Divorce is more than just a piece of paper and in the eyes of your Lord and according to your bible she is already divorced because she slept around.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I agree with you, however, if she doesn't share your religious values you're really in no position to tell her what she should do. What you think is better according to your beliefs may not be what she thinks is better. It's hard seeing loved ones act in ways we deem wrong, but if they don't share our values, it's not our place to impose them.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• According to the Church, the civil divorce is meaningless - if she had a Sacramental marriage, she's still married and it wouldn't make a moral difference regarding her sleeping around. That's the Church's standpoint. I can't really say how God feels about it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2011