How long should a 10 month old nurse ? ( minutes I mean )

she only nurses for a couple of minutes is that normal I am afraid I am not making enough milk it seems like the older she gets the longer she should nurse, she seems healthy though.

harleygirl2475

Asked by harleygirl2475 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as she doesnt cry after feeding (for more food) then she is getting stuffed. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Quite the opposite, actually. The older they get, the more efficient they become. And there's less comfort nursing going on since she's probably eager to get back to playtime. My son only nursed about 5-10 minutes at a time by that age.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• They get better at getting the milk out faster with age, plus even snacks are healthy when it comes to BM...just nurse on demand and don't give too many other drinks or too many solids!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• As long as your baby wants, that's how long! The other ladies are right - your baby's gotten really efficient at getting milk out. Make sure, though, that at this point, the majority of her diet is still breastmilk, though.
    If it's not, cut back on everything else.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 5:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• She will nurse however long it take to fill her tummy. If she is satisfied, gaining and having good diaper output then all is well. All it means is you are letting down fast, and baby is very efficent with nursing.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If your baby is content and you aren't still feeling full, it's probably good. Every so often I have to convince DD to continue eating because she's found a new attraction and I have milk spraying all over the place!

On average, DD spent 30 minutes nursing at 2 months and spends 5 minutes nursing at 9 months. We still feed roughly every two waking hours.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 6:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2008