Were you ever molested or sexually abused?

After watching several episodes of Intervention, I am amazed at how many of those that have turned to drugs have been victims of sexual abuse. If sex abuse has happened to you, how has this affected you overall as a person? Do you cope well with stress or no, did you turn to drugs or alcohol? How has this affected your relationships with others, and do you find it hard to make friends or not? Thanks.

My own personal story, I was molested by my grandfather for 2 yrs. from the age of 10-12. I think because of this is why I was somewhat more prone to being promiscuous at a young age and always went from boyfriend to boyfriend. I turned to marijauna and drinking, smoking..to this day I feel that it's affected my overall feelings of self-worth which makes it difficult to make and keep friendships since I still carry those feelings around.

I would like to know if there have been those who have learned to overcome the negative feelings about themselves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Health

• Yes, I was molested by my father at a very young age, so young that I did't have direct/vivid memories of it until I became pregnant with my DD, it started with dreams and became day time flashbacks when I had to become my abuser's 24/7 caregiver. It was never acknowledged within the family and very few people are aware of it. I didn't turn to drugs, drinking or promiscuity. Instead, I was a man hater until my mid-20's, ate myself into obesity, and self-injured. To this day, I still can't stand to be touched my most people (only DH and children, mine or others, ok). I don't trust anyone either. Even though my abuser is now dead, I still have flashbacks if DH touches me in certain ways or says certain things. I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life overcoming my issues, but you can be sure that I'll do my damnest to make sure that it doesn't happen to my kids.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My little sister was molested as a child. When she turned about 14 she ended up sleeping with everyone, doing drugs, and eventually went to a mental institution. Now she's 23 she hates all men and is still a pot head and a coke head. What sucks is the person that molested her is still in her life. She has to see him for holidays and family gatherings. It's like my family pretended like it never happened.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i'm sorry but why would you put this under "just for fun"?
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 3:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My sister was molested when she was in middle school by my father(her step dad). She then was raped by a solider in the military when he first joined. She now have relationship issues.
    My mom chose to believe my father and I ended up being his next victim when I was in middle school. i started heavily drinking when i was in high school. I don't drink any more and I am married with two kids. I have noticed that I don't want my 2yr old son touching me. for instance when he climbs on my lap to take a nap or just want to cuddle I cringe when he accidentally touch my breast. I know I need some serious help. My sex life with my hubby is not so great also.
    Anonymous

• I think because they didn't have a tag for "Trauma", Maybe I could have put it under relationships..but nothing seemed very fitting. Sorry, but the tag really has nothing to do with it..and is really meant to be ignored.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ive been molested and raped. When i was 9 yrs or less (not sure of exact age) my boy cousins sexual abused me. I have never conforted them about it and dont think my parents ever found out. And then when i was 12 my neighbor raped me while my mom was out gettin drunk as usual. Less than a year later my moms good friend that had been in prison b4 for molestion, molested me. Ive been in abusive relationships. I dont trust many people not even my own mom. I try not 2 get close 2 anyone afraid of what will happen if i do. I turned 2 drugs and alcohol. when i get 2 drunk i get mean. I dont drink that often any more, maybe once every couple of months. when i do drink i know my limit. So i think the rape and molestion and sexual abuse has alot 2 do with how i am 2day. And im so afraid it will happen 2 my daughter so i try 2 keep her real close 2 me.
    country_mom_07

Answer by country_mom_07 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• When I was 14 I had a crush on this boy in high school. I started hanging out with him and one day he invited me over to hang out at his house. We went to his room and things progressed and he ended up raping me. I was a virgin so at first I was very confused. I felt like i brought it on myself. The I convinced myself that i led him on. After that day I began doing drugs a lot. Really anything I could get my hands on. I should probably be dead from the drugs and how careless I was with them. After that I got into high school and was with a boy for almost 5 years. This boy cheated on me beat on me and put me down. I Never left him though. I went on to start using worse drugs. I ended up getting away from him and getting clean. I have extreme trust issues and guilt. I havent used in over 2 years. Idk if its from the rape or not but I thank god everyday for giving me the strength to say no.
    Aleighasmom09

Answer by Aleighasmom09 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I am a rape survivor,I was raped at 6 and again at 16. I dont use drugs/alcohol,never drugs,used to be a social drinker but stopped all drinking when I had an interaction with my seizure meds. I dont care for/enjoy sex . I can go without and be just fine
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thanks all for sharing your very personal stories. I wish the recovery from this wasn't lifelong, but it seems for most to be a very difficult journey.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011