Is it normal for a 6 yr old to talk to themselves

my son is always talking to himself and talking back like he is having his own 2 way convo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ok for those of you that still talk to yourselves, that hilarious!!!Cause i was kinda hoping i wasnt the only one!:)
    I think its totally normal and would not stress at all about it!!
    hiselbobbie1

Answer by hiselbobbie1 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Only child...yeah, totally.

I'm 29 and i still do it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yeah, sounds fine. I wasn't an only child, but I talked to myself all the time. It's probably is more common for kids that are naturally introverted or shy - it's a way to practice having conversations so you feel more confortable when having to talk to someone else. I still do it if I'm not careful. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I think it's normal. Is it ALL the time? Does he do it at school? Is he an only child?
    Evie3

Answer by Evie3 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• he kind of is the only kid his siblings do not live in the house. and he doesn't do it at school
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Yes it's normal. My 6 year old does it all the time when she's home, she doesn't do it at school and she's not even an only child - she has a 5 year old sister, 3 year old twin brothers, and a 10 day old brother. Since her youngest brother was born she mostly just talks to him but she's still really just talking to herself. I think it's normal at any age depending on the severity and content - my dad is 46 and he talks to himself constantly and always has. I remember when I was little I use to sit in the window while he worked on the house or yard and he'd have whole conversation with himself.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Ive heard this is a sign of genious
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 7:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• its normal
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I used to all the time.. I was the only child til 8 and a half and even then.. I would play outside by myself and talk to myself lol it sounds funny now saying it.. but yea totally normal.. I did it for a long time.. hey I still do it lol
    and I turned out ok :) lol
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• talking to yourself is a sign of being a genious well he pretty dang smart he was the first to read in kindergarten and math...he acts like it's no big deal.....so maybe?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011