How can I teach my 14-months DD to say "Mommy"?

My DD is 14 months old,She can say 5 words,she calls her Grandma and Grandpa,and she says "Hi" and "Bye"..But for some weird reason she doesnt say "Mommy" or 'Daddy"!!! she calls me "Nanna" i don't know why!! and i tried saying "Mommy" many times infront of her so she can repeat what i say,but no response!! thats my first child,and i really wanna hear her calling me "Mommy"!!

newmom300

Asked by newmom300 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck on that one. My daughter would refuse to say mommy until 22 months. Now she won't stop.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Watching your mouth as you say it.... it is how most of us know how to annunciate our words!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Try facing close to her, go ma-ma-ma-ma-ma. She'll likely repeat you, especially if you vary it a little in tone or speed. Once she gets a hang of it, gently correct her when she says nanna, If she masters the mama, it won't be long before you can get in a mommy.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Mama is easier. Just keep saying "mama! mama" All the time. My son said "dada" first and it pissed me off, lol! So my other kids I just kept saying "mama" until they said it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• try pronounciating (sp) it very slowly and point to your mouth as you say it. also, use your name whenever youre doing somthing with her. "mommy's changing your diaper" "mommy's getting your breakfast/lunch/dinner ready" use her name and your name together like "___ (her name) and mommy are coloring/eating/playing together" good luck! she will eventually get it, and when she does get it, it will melt your heart unlike anything else! =o)
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Be careful what you wish for... once they start, they don't stop. ;)

Honestly, you got great advice. She'll get it eventually.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Aw, she probably thinks she IS saying mama! My DS calls everyone mama with slight variations. It's so difficult for them to form their sounds, so if she's consistently calling you Nana then that's probably her "mama!" But Try looking in the mirror with her and pointing to yourself saying Mama.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 7:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2011