How do you deal with a SD that lies !!!

last week e left my mil's less than 5min and my SD wanted to watch a movie that was on the dvr in my bedroom so I said yes it's her fave. movie and there are 2 pair of hand cuffs that are put together in the bed room. her uncle was a police officer and gave them to my DH a long time ago she has messed with them before but when her dad was home and while i started the movie for her I noticed she got them out and was messing with them she is 5 and I said don't put those on you I ... and she closed them on her foot I looked for the key and couldn't find it I called my DH at work he didn't answer I panicked and returned to my mil's at first my mil and fil were laughing and my SD started crying then she looked her grandma right in the face told her I put it on her!!!!!! I said oh no I didn't and my mil didn't believe me at first  well we finally got ahold of my DH and he told me where the key was so I went and got it my mil questioned my SD while I went home to get the key.my SD confessed that she did it and that she didn't want to get in trouble so she said I did .this worries me because If she'll lie about me what is she lying to me about !!! and what other thing's in the future will she lie about me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm glad everyone involved knows she lies. My SD told lies about me and her mom insists she doesn't lie, needles to say she doesn't come over anymore and if she ever does I will never be alone with her.

She needs to be disciplined for what she did and for the lie. Does she go to some kind of therapy? All kids want their parents together, could be she lies about you and the boyfriend to cause problems.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• let her know lies are not tolerated and there will be consequences for this. Talk to her with your DH so she knows dad agrees and you aren't the bad guy. Let her know up front what will happen if she lies and follow thru
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• First you and your hubby needs to be on the same page. So that she will see the united front. Find a punishment and keep with it. Good luck momma.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 7:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• she needs a talk about lies and how they can really affect someone. I told my dd the story about the boy who cried wolf. lying is pretty normal for kids.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Oh boy, sounds like oyu have your hands full there.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i would have a talk with ur dh and set up an appropiate punishment ...time out ..no snack ect and tell her the boy who cried wolf story and explain that no one will believe her if she keeps lying and how hurtful it is
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• she's been talked to by both of us together and her mom and her boyfriend because recently she told us a lie about her mom's boyfriend too she said he wasn't letting her eat.... and we talked to her mom and found out that what really was happening is that he told her she needed to eat her real food before she ate any more fruit because if you let her thats all she wants to eat I also realize that it's me and the boyfriend that she's lying about but my DH found out this weekend that she says stuff when she's not getting her way.... because she demanded to sleep with us sat night and my DH said no that she could stay up later because it was the weekend but she needed to sleep in her own bed she yelled at him and told him he was being mean and that she didn't want to even sit with him needless to say she ended up in trouble and going to bed early !!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I've told her the boy that cried wolf story she doesn't seem to believe me..... she'll just have to learn the hard way.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Tazdvl sorry that your SD did this to you!!! I think that her mom may have believed her in the past when we weren't communicating but this has really opened my eyes and I'm having to talk to her mom now because I have to straighten out the lies she tells me about her mom's boyfriend it's real easy for the child to lie when no one is checking out the stories.... it also goes to show that a break down in communication between parents is never good!!!!!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• She needs to be disciplined
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2011