3yr old twins. How can I deal with them when....

we are together and I try to do stuff they either rip it to shreds, go do something else, I.E. a minute later, or make HUGE gigantic messes. I've tried sitting them down and talking to 'em. Time out for when they make HUGE messes or do something they know not to. Our apartment isn't that big. Things seem to get out of hand a lot. I tend to put the kids in the hall or their room when I need to do something, I.E. cook or clean. As having them help seems to be more detrimental then helpful. I've given small, clear concise direction to each of 'em but they don't seem to get it. Mostly they like to make messes or fight (DH loves physical fighting [doesn't do anything that isn't above the kids' level]). Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. If you would like more info feel free to pm me.

twinstartermom

Asked by twinstartermom at 4:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am the grandmother of 4 year old twins, who are soon to 5. They have a younger brother who is 2, soon to be 3. Since I am with them a lot, I truly know what you are talking about. Not sure I have much advice that would be helpful. Sometimes I give them crafts to do at the kitchen table when I am trying to cook. Also, I act like throwing the mess away (what can be tossed of course) is such a wonderful thing. That helps. My daughter has taken things away when they aren't put away and that sometimes helps. Good luck and I hope you keep your sense of humor!
    NurseElaine

Answer by NurseElaine at 4:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• i have 3 yo twins too! i also have a 1 yo, a 6yo and a 7 yo.
    weather we get to do anything at all this summer really depends on my 3 yo boy. he is not a good listener! he wiggles out of a seat belt. he breaks through child proofing for doors, he climbs the fences...he can be quite the menace!!!
    is there anyone that can help you? I am hoping that my mom and sister come out once a week to give a hand, so we can get out and do stuff! i also have a friend with one little one, that is willing to trade big and little kids with me, she is awesome!!!
    when we lived in an apartment, i had two boys that were 18 mos apart, and we used to run through the sprinklers and go for walks to parks a lot in the summer---but those boys would stay in a stroller!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I have 3 year old, identical twin boys! I alson have a 2 week old, 5 year old and 7 year old. When we go to do something, we sit them down and have a talk with them. For example: "Noah, Levi, mommy and daddy are going to take you to the park to have a picnic ok? You HAVE to be good for momma or we wont stay at the park. We will come straight home, and you guys will have to sit in timeout. Do you think that you can behave for momma?" Of course they say yes. When we get there, if they start misbehaving, i will sit them down until they can calm. If that doesn't work then they get to come home and sit in timeout as I said. Always explain the situation to them and the consequences and then stick to your word. ALWAYS. Routine is the magic key in my household!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2011