I have read 2 different things about giving your baby eggs! they say just yolk until 12 months but then i read if they are between 10-12 months you can give the a whole egg! what is your opinon?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my kids both ate eggs from the time they were eating solids. y are they not suposed to have them?
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 4:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Wait until they are a year old and drinking cows milk. There is some anti-body in cows milk that helps them digest eggs. I gave my DD scrambled eggs when she was about 10 months old, and she broke out in hives! I freaked out! But the doctor said it was common. Avoid eggs until they are a little older, and then give in moderation until you are sure there isn't an allergy.
    Evie3

Answer by Evie3 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• something about allergies to the whites i guess but i think he will do fine i just want to hear what other mothers say before i do it!
    lilae86

Comment by lilae86 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• IDk my dad is extremely allergic to eggs and my GM didn't know til he was older than that. I would just proceed with caution. they can show allergic reaction at any time :)
    Aleighasmom09

Answer by Aleighasmom09 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• They used to recommend you wait, but last year the AAP updated their recommendations and said there is no reason to withhold what used to be called the "allergenic" foods. You should be able to find the info on the AAP's website.

Answer by missanc at 4:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Egg whites contain "more histamine liberators". I think this is what you are referring. My son has food allergies but eggs are not the problem.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I always gave them the whole egg.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I just scrambled up the whole egg! It there is a serious family history of allergies to eggs, I would hold off. Otherwise, serve them up!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• New research has shown that there is no reason to hold certain foods off until a certain age- and that by waiting to expose your kids to a food they may be allergic to.... the reaction will be worse as they age.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I gave the whole egg scrambled starting at about 8-10 months old.. None of mine had a problem..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2011