• In the Spotlight:

Kids and swimming Lessons

Did you teach your kids to swim? Did they take lessons? My 4 year old just started to dog paddle, but would rather wear her water wings. What is the best way to teach her to swim?

Evie3

Asked by Evie3 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd say lessons for sure, my son is 6 and has taken a few classes and is doing great. I think they learn better from teachers.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Thanks, I agree!!
    Evie3

Comment by Evie3 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I taught all five of them, myself.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• Even though I taught swim lessons at my local YMCA for 2.5 years, I did not teach my own kids to swim. My son, we started swim lessons when he was 3.5 as something he could do that he didn't have to share with the new baby. My daughter, we started her in the water at 8 months old when I started taking a Mommy and Me water exercise class (baby was extra drag). From that class I got talked into becoming a teacher myself. By that time my son was too advanced for me to teach, and my daughter has never been able to differentiate between Mommy and Teacher, so teaching her was a disaster the one time I tried.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• II gave all three of mine lessons in my pool when we fist moved into our house, they were 4, 5 and my son got them at 3.

Answer by older at 4:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• My kids started taking lessons at 8 months old. We did mommy and me classes and then they did all the classes at the YMCA until they finally we such good swimmers they decided to join a swim team. Although I am a strong swimmer and used to teach lessons myself I never really tried to teach my own children. AS they got older they didn't listen very well to me and they had no fear of the water so I really needed someone else to teach them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• my ds(3.5) learned half on his own half we tought. he wasnt able to swim in the little body suties with the floting padding but in a regular life jacket he learned to swim fast with hardly any help. we spent pretty much all last summer in the pool when we lived with my mil.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• We started with "tiny tot" swimming lessons around 18 months old - parent has to go in with them but it teaches them how to put their face in, blow bubbles, kick, use their arms, etc. Once they could touch in the shallow they started regular lessons (pool rules - touch = regular lessons). By the time they were done with level 1 I didn't have to worry about them.
    Anonymous

• I didn't have the patience to teach my kids to swim so I sent them for lessons.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2011

• I've been teaching swimming lessons on and off for 15 years. I take my kids swimming, and we do work on the "basics", which any parent can do...but I will not be teaching them to actually swim, they will start lessons around 5, when they are kinesthetically aware enough of their bodies to actually get what they are supposed to be doing (and it saves some money).

I *don't* recommend water wings--they keep the body in the wrong position in the water for them to learn to swim, and they don't allow for proper arm movement.  I would recommend one of these (walmart has something similar by OP in their pool stuff section).

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2011